BowFishing Country banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 2 and a half days in the keys and one day walking canals of south florida. Conditions were horrible with a steady 20mph wind all making it tough fishing. First day was only an afternoon. I shot a small baracuda off the the dock before we hit the flats and shot a second small cuda. Sunday we had plans to get up early and hit the blue water early. Woke up to a nasty thunderstorm and had more storms moving through. Finally late morning the thunder and lightning broke down to just showers so we hit the water. Shot a nice mangrove snapper (new world and state record) off the dock while captain got the boat ready. Hit the few spots with only a few small grunts, yellow tail snapper, small strawberry grouper, and blue runners on the rods. Tried drifting with nothing going on, tried deeper then found some floating weeds. Went to work with bucktails and went 1 for 3 on mahi. Captain wanted to put a few in the cooler before we started messing with the bows but wasn't meant to be. Called it a day,
Monday the winds picked up over 25 mph so we stayed in shore behind the mangrove islands and shot and rod/reeled the flats. Managed to shoot few southern stinrays up to 60lbs but nothing else going on.
Tuesday I had to drop my buddy off at the airport at noon so walked the canals. Little windy but managed to find a bunch of fish. Managed a few talpia, plecos, 3 bullseye snakeheads, and 1 mayan cichlid (new world and state record). Overall was a great trip even with the tough conditions and on a positive note got the invite to come back when ever I wanted so the captain can show what the fishing is typically like. I'll post some pictures in a min

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, sucks the weather didn't cooperate the way you wanted it to

·
Registered
411 Posts
Looks like you made the best of it despite the weather! Not many places you can get 6 new species. Those are really great pics, love the cuda one. The canals look very interesting, how many snakes and gators did you have to dodge?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Guys, if you ever get the chance to fish the Keys I'd consider it a must, you have no idea how many different types of fish abound there. I used to live in Key West and I kick myself every time I think about being stupid enough to have moved away. It has absolutely got to be some of the best fishing I've personally ever experienced. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate better for you.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks like you made the best of it despite the weather! Not many places you can get 6 new species. Those are really great pics, love the cuda one. The canals look very interesting, how many snakes and gators did you have to dodge?
Didn't see one snake or gator actually. But I couldn't cover much water, I had 500 or so yards of shoreline at a public park then it was all houses. Very residential area. And yep the canals I got 4 new species in one afternoon. And the keys If you got on fish you could shoot a dozen or more new apecies. Some species that maybe no on has ever shot before. Like I hit a hog fish that was very deep, saw I stunned it with a head shot but didn't get the barbs into the fish. But I would say that's possibly the first hogfish every shot with a bow.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Did your guide say how big of a Barracuda you can expect to find in the mangroves? I've heard you have to go offshore to get a big one (20 lbs+).

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We saw one decent one right by the mangroves but most of the bigger ones will be either on deeper wide open flats or offshore. He showed me some pictures of cudas up to 40lbs from the flats

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Is that a cubera or a mangrove? I shoot them both all of the time and that looks quite a bit more like a cubera than a mangrove but I hate it when people are doing exactly what I am doing right now but I would like you to have the record for the right fish. google it I guess to see?

·
Registered
411 Posts
We saw one decent one right by the mangroves but most of the bigger ones will be either on deeper wide open flats or offshore. He showed me some pictures of cudas up to 40lbs from the flats
40 pounds is a huge Barracuda, I would be happy with a 20 pounder.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that a cubera or a mangrove? I shoot them both all of the time and that looks quite a bit more like a cubera than a mangrove but I hate it when people are doing exactly what I am doing right now but I would like you to have the record for the right fish. google it I guess to see?
He wrapped up in the dock and was fighting against it taking scales off giving him stripes. 99% sure it was a mangrove bit by no mean know my southern saltwater fish like I know freshwater or north atlantic saltwater fish.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
I like the Bullseye snakehead, but in the pic holding the snapper if your hat brim was flat instead of curved you'd look just like Rob Dyrdek from DC and "Ridiculousness" good job glad you had a good trip.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts