BowFishing Country banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I heard about this and thought it might be pretty cool but cant figure it out. Does it do rivers too? For example, Im in south Ga. If I look up "lake Blackshear" navionics shows the depths , channels and stuff like that, BUT if I look at the "flint river" it just shows a river (as you would see on google earth). Am I doing something wrong? BTW, I downloaded the "free 14 day trial" for my phone weather that matters or not.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Many of the natural rivers, especially the smaller ones like the flint, are not graphed in their database. You're not doing anything wrong though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crap. looks like I might need to look into chart plotters then? Or are rivers not recognized on those either?

·
Registered
500 Posts
A lot of times if you go to their websites it will give you a list of mapped waters. Most chart plotters don't come pre loaded with maps. (some do). You have to buy a 100$ or more card to put in them. These cards are created by navionics, hummingbird, navnet etc. From there there are a lot of options, specific areas lake etc. I personally went with the garmin because it was preloaded with basic maps. I also have navionics on my phone. In heavy fog (when I cant see) or smaller rivers or areas not on the garmin ill use my phone and vise versa. There have been instances where neither were mapped. My recommendation would be go to navionics website and see if you lake or river is listed. If not your more than likely s.o.l.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We use navionics on our lowrance hds5. We have a 7 also but one of our favorite lakes isn't on the newer chip so we run GPS on the 5 then downscan and sonar on the 7, mostay useless when bowfishing to have sonar but we use it all the time when we catfish, none of the rivers we fish here in nc are on the navionics chip, other than a blue outline

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. looks like navionics is useless to me. From what I can tell, the only body of water it has is about 1.5 hrs away from me (blackshear). The way they advertise, theres thousands of users downloading (mapping) stuff daily. I find it hard to believe no one has done the flint yet. Hell, even Luke Bryant or whatever his name is sings about it. Its a pretty decent body of water that has dams and lakes.

·
Registered
900 Posts
We've also found that main waters and main channels on rivers are mapped but any backwaters or smaller rivers are not, I think when they change often it just not worth then doing like on the Mississippi. I've also found that you can't alway trust the GPS stuff even on the main channels especially the buoy markers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts