BowFishing Country banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nebraska is one of just a few states that you can bowfish game fish in. However you cannot shoot game fish using artificial light and a statewide time from sunup to sunset exists. The season for game fish is from July1st-Dec 31st. You also must obey all length and limit laws.

Nongame fish can be taken year round 24-7 and artificial lights may be used. The most popular nongame fish are:

Common Carp
Buffalo
Grass Carp
Sivler Carp
Bighead Carp
Longnose and shortnose gar.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions I may be able to help you with when bowfishing Nebraska.

Rich Porter
AKA Force Feed
402-321-3176
[email protected]

Nebraska Game and Parks website is www.outdoornebraska.org
phone number is 800-742-0056

Another good resource is the Bowfishers of Nebraska website which is:
www.bowfishnebraska.org

I'm honored to be the new state rep of Nebraska for the BAA.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Good post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
south dakota just made it so you can shoot game fish now but I'm not sure about all the regulations for it. If shooting paddlefish in Nebraska is anything like Paddle fish in nebraska you have to get tags for it pretty much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How does the Paddlefishing work in Nebraska?
Sorry I didnt see this right away.

Paddlefish - Paddle fish - spoonies - whatever you want to call them is a lot like deer hunting.

You have to apply for a tag in April and then there is a season starting in mid-july thru mid-august. The only area open to spoonie harvest is the Missouri River from the dam at Yankton down to the Big Sioux inlet at Sioux City, IA.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What is the western most lake that holds other species besideds common's? We plan on making several trips your way this year and would love to get into some other kinds of fish. I know that the river is the place to be but I'm trying to find something alittle closer for shorter trips.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are a few buffs in the canal system that starts at Big Mac. Not sure how far up the Buffs go, but if you get on them at the right time it can be killer. Most trips you don't see them, just the commons.

Nebraska is tough for anything but commons until you get to the extreme eastern part of the state, then you find some gar along the platte and loup river systems in sandpits. those can be hard to get on as public ones are few and far in between.

Honestly, your better of taking Hwy 36 out of Denver east through Last Chance and keep going until you find good water.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Several guidebooks suggest that in far western Nebraska there are Longnose Suckers do you know if this is true?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nebraska is one of just a few states that you can bowfish game fish in. However you cannot shoot game fish using artificial light and a statewide time from sunup to sunset exists. The season for game fish is from July1st-Dec 31st. You also must obey all length and limit laws.

Nongame fish can be taken year round 24-7 and artificial lights may be used. The most popular nongame fish are:

Common Carp
Buffalo
Grass Carp
Sivler Carp
Bighead Carp
Longnose and shortnose gar.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions I may be able to help you with when bowfishing Nebraska.

Rich Porter
AKA Force Feed
402-321-3176
[email protected]

Nebraska Game and Parks website is www.outdoornebraska.org
phone number is 800-742-0056

Another good resource is the Bowfishers of Nebraska website which is:
www.bowfishnebraska.org

I'm honored to be the new state rep of Nebraska for the BAA.
Hi!
I was wondering if you could tell me what the regulations in Nebraska are for disposing of fish harvested through bowfishing?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Rich hasn't been on here in forever. But I just talked to him. Fish must be removed from the waters and disposed of properly. May not be released or slit and sank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts