BowFishing Country banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my freind have been hitting it alot honing our skills and getting better every day. Up till recently, we have been getting average size dog fish and about 8-10lb carp. The spawn has hit here and we are getting the big boys cruising the shore lines alot more. These bigger carp have been getting off our arrows quite a bit. We are using the basic 2 prong muzzy point. The kind where you unscrew the tip a little to manuver the prongs to get the fish off. These just are not cutting it with the bigger carp. We shot 17 fish today between the two of us and 10 big ones managed to get off the arrows. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good tip for keeping the bigger fish on? Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My buddies and I use the Muzzy carp tips and crank up the poundage on the bows to punch through. I had guys suggest pinching in the muzzys till they where almost touching the ferrel. I will never do that again! Had to use pliars to unscrew the tip:headbang:.

Let the fish run a little (just don't yank it in), then have your buddies put another arrow in it before you pull it into the boat.:drunk:

Good luck and post pictures!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Innerloc 3 barb, Gene Davis, piranha long barbs, AMS chaos xl. All good tips. I squeeze the barbs on the long barbs and it works excellent!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
get some tempered wire right diam. make them as long as you like.but will need to squeese or do a bend on them or they will sit too wide little more poundege helps also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im running a 50lb recurve and all of my shooting is from the bank along with the fact that I do some bowfishing by myself. I did look at the innerloc 3 barb but I heard they can get caught up quite well on structure under water. Have you ad this happen Mendozer? Which RPM would you prefer Black lab?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Cajun long barbs or 4 barb lil stingers would be my choice. I bend the barbs in a little on both to keep from punching such a big hole. BTW welcome to BFC and nice to see another Hoosier on here!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I bend every new arrow to the ferrule. Helps a bunch. Cajun long barbs are what you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, getting a bunch of ideas and I appreciate it. I do like the simplicity of the barbs vs the more mechanical tips, but I am still looking at all the recomendations. Now, if i want to put a new tip on an existing arrow, can i just cut the shaft below where the the current tip ends? and then fix and/ or pin a new tip to the arrow? My tip is currently glued on both my arrows.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If your tip is just glued on and not crimped or pinned you can usually just heat the tip a little and pull it off. If not cutting it off will work I just like all my arrows to be the same length. You yote hunt? Seems like I've seen your user name on a predator forum before?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your tip is just glued on and not crimped or pinned you can usually just heat the tip a little and pull it off. If not cutting it off will work I just like all my arrows to be the same length. You yote hunt? Seems like I've seen your user name on a predator forum before?
Yes, I am a predator hunter. You may have seen me on predator masters. I was once a moderator on Indiana Predator Central before the site dried up of activity. I will try and do the heat thing before i cut the arrows. I am assuming a lighter will work?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes, I am a predator hunter. You may have seen me on predator masters. I was once a moderator on Indiana Predator Central before the site dried up of activity. I will try and do the heat thing before i cut the arrows. I am assuming a lighter will work?
Yea a lighter should work, that's how I get my broken nocks off too. I used to get on IPC back in the day. Built me a new AR this winter and killed a few dogs myself, gives me something do when I caint shoot fish!

·
Registered
472 Posts
cajun 4 barbs. have shot 50plus pound bigheads 40 plus pound buffs and even a 62 pound grassy with these and they work great

·
Registered
271 Posts
Swift, if I shoot into a root ball with the innerlocs, it's coming with me! They hold great! But if I lose one I feel like going in after it, they are pretty expensive. The long barbs get better with time!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'd suggest keeping the arrows intact and buying new shafts and points to supplement your existing arrows, rather than cut an inch off the arrow. The arrow length change might be enough to change the flight...of course, maybe it will improve things if your arrow flight is currently not great. Shorter is stiffer.

I used to bank shoot and wade for a long time before using a boat and I definitely think some arrows will get hung up more than others. Back then I used what I had though, which was sting-a-ree style and various river points with a hand wrap. I liked the sting-a-rees because they seemed to get stuck less often, and I could twist the shaft to help unstick them sometimes. Didn't like them because they would plane off and were kind of fragile - the blades would shatter on rocks.

Grapples can be a pain to pull through brush out of a boat, and I imagine would be very easy to get caught from bank around deadfall. They also cost 50% more than most points.

If you want to try longer barbs on the muzzy points you already have, bending your own barbs is not hard if you have a vise, a vise grips, and a bolt cutter. Go to a hobby shop and buy some piano wire...3/32" (.093). K+S engineering, a pair of 3 ft sections are usually $3 or so locally, and easily enough for 12 barbs. Just don't try to cut it with an electrical side cutters! Use a bolt cutter.

The only times I have luck with standard 1" barbs is in cold water, so I've been experimenting a bit this past year. 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" seems to be a good length for holding soft fish while still able to penetrate well. But if they are squeezed poorly, they will stick and won't swing cleanly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Me and my freind have been hitting it alot honing our skills and getting better every day. Up till recently, we have been getting average size dog fish and about 8-10lb carp. The spawn has hit here and we are getting the big boys cruising the shore lines alot more. These bigger carp have been getting off our arrows quite a bit. We are using the basic 2 prong muzzy point. The kind where you unscrew the tip a little to manuver the prongs to get the fish off. These just are not cutting it with the bigger carp. We shot 17 fish today between the two of us and 10 big ones managed to get off the arrows. Do you guys have any suggestions on a good tip for keeping the bigger fish on? Thanks.
Thats why I did this to my arrows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts