BowFishing Country banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jump to the end to advoid the saga!

Shot a local inland lake I found last year. 10 minutes from the house and full of carp. We would see about 40 per night. Some nights were slower but that was the average. However, I didn't start shooting until late July.
So this year I thought I'd get an early start. Yea, right. Three or four times in march and nada. Three or four times in April and a few here and there. So needing my fix I tried a small local river someone told me about. After a few times we found the right section and did quite well for the end on April untill mid may. A few weeks ago the spawn started and found a few different locations and have done very well.
So we deceided to try the lake again, they had to be up shallow right?. Nada. Water temp last time we were there was 60, end of April. We've had a heat wave for over a week and water temp last night was 70. I can't believe they spawned out in early may and I can't believe they all spawned out in the last few weeks. And if they did I can't believe they would not still be around. Any imput would help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From my experience shooting spawning fish its over by the end of may. In my area anyways. By mid June the shooting goes from amazing in may, to less than mediocre. I have never shot at night but have did it for 20 years in the daytime and thats what I always see. I have figured little things out to do to just target carp and buffalo and can always find those but the gar seem to dissipate along with the numbers of other fish.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not sure where you are in Michigan, but the simple answer is go to Saginaw bay or Lake St. Clair, lots of fish there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts