BowFishing Country banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boat that came pre-rigged with some lights. This is 12V system. There is a red and black wire going to each of the existing lights.

I just ordered two additional lights from 5 Star LED to add to the ones I have. The new lights have 3 wires - blue, brown, and yellow with a green stripe.

When I connect the brown and blue to the red and black, the new light comes on but it makes all the lights start flickering, and the wires going to the new light only start to get hot. If I switch the blue and brown ones around, it doesn't turn on at all. It does this whether the ground wire (which I assume is the yellow and green one) is grounded to the boat or not.

Any help is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I got the wiring figured out but the wire coming from the back of the LED that connects to the wires coming from the boat is getting so hot that I can't even touch it after about 1 or 2 minutes. What would that be?

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK, I got the wiring figured out but the wire coming from the back of the LED that connects to the wires coming from the boat is getting so hot that I can't even touch it after about 1 or 2 minutes. What would that be?
need more info. Shoot me a PM. I'll talk u thru it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info after messing around with the light. The light works but its wires get super hot whether it is wired in with all my other lights, is attached by itself to my powermaxx 120 to 12 volt inverter, or is attached by itself to a battery.

That seems to indicate there's a problem with the light, no? I had to wait nearly a month for 5 Star LED to deliver this light because they had received a batch of "underperforming drivers" and had to wait on new ones. That's fine, stuff happens, but does this sound like an "underperforming driver" issue? Maybe I got one of the bad ones?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hopefully not too late with my response.

You’re trying to hook up a 120v light to a 12v circuit. 12v only has positive and negative wires. 120v has 3 wires, hence your predicament.

On the 110v light- the brown wire is hot, blue wire is neutral, and yellow/green is ground. These are the colors for the international wiring standards. (Light probably sourced from China)

Best way to test that your light works, cut the end off of an extension cord, and connect the wires. The extension cord will probably have US wiring color codes- black is hot, white is neutral and green is ground. Use some wire nuts to connect the light to the cord. Match the black and brown wires, the white and blue wires, and green with yellow/green. Fire up the gennie, and insert the plug directly to one of the outlets and check that the light comes on with no issues.

It’s possible that you may have damaged the light hooking it up the way you did before. I’d leave the light on for a few hours (save some gas by using a regular wall outlet) before any permanent installation to hedge a headache. 110v lights don’t need to run off of any converters at all, just wire straight into plug and use the outlets on generator. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts