BowFishing Country banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using their float pods as gas tanks? Do they need a bladder? Can you retrofit for pods already on boat? What kind of capacity do you think seaark pods would have?

Also if we have an aluminum fuel cell fabricated instead, what kind of safety/USCG requirements need to be met?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I might be wrong but wouldn't putting fluid in the pod defeat the purpose of the pod. Usually aren't they added to keep the rear of the boat higher on the water. I would imagine that filling them would make the rear of your boat sit lower.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I would agree that would increase weight in the back... also pods are not bullet proof and it would suck to punch a hole and then loose fuel or put water in your motor...

·
Registered
538 Posts
You might have ventilation issues and it could get complicated tying the two pods together, but the #1 reason I wouldn't do it is because of draining the pods/boat. Though I don't think it would defeat the purpose of the pods, as fuel is lighter than water by 2 lbs/gallon, and any air in the top would serve as floatation.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was careful to position my 28 gallon tank centered widthwise and about 2/3's back of the length of the boat. I did not want the trim of the boat and how it handled to change drastically as fuel was consumed. Using pods as tanks would create the exact opposite effect they were designed for. I would think it would prevent many boats of getting all the way up on plane and cause many of them to porpoise.

If you try it, let me know how it works. I might want to remove the foam from my life jackets and fill them with beer! :D

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I might be wrong but wouldn't putting fluid in the pod defeat the purpose of the pod. Usually aren't they added to keep the rear of the boat higher on the water. I would imagine that filling them would make the rear of your boat sit lower.
Not really as the fuel is gonna be in the boat in a fuel tank no matter if it's under the back deck or in the pods. But I do agree with what others have said, yes would save room but seems like more of a pain in the but then its worth.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Not really as the fuel is gonna be in the boat in a fuel tank no matter if it's under the back deck or in the pods. But I do agree with what others have said, yes would save room but seems like more of a pain in the but then its worth.
although the fuel is going to be in the boat no matter what, the location of its weight is more important. Typically the rear of the boat is the heaviest part and if you hang 150 more pounds off the back then its going to sit even deeper in the back. For example get someone to stand in your boat and watch it from the shoreline. Have them walk from the middle of the boat back to where they are standing on the transom/float pods. you will definitely see it lower in the water.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Rear sponsons 18" wide, 12" tall, & 24" converted to fuel tanks will hold nearly 270lbs of gas when full and that weight will sit as far back or further than the motor does. That unquestionably defeats the design purpose of adding floatation pods or sponsons to your transom.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we have a work around. I would still like to know if anybody has experience with custom tanks. We are stuck with a 12 gal tank on a 115hp for right now. Not quite big enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
although the fuel is going to be in the boat no matter what, the location of its weight is more important. Typically the rear of the boat is the heaviest part and if you hang 150 more pounds off the back then its going to sit even deeper in the back. For example get someone to stand in your boat and watch it from the shoreline. Have them walk from the middle of the boat back to where they are standing on the transom/float pods. you will definitely see it lower in the water.
Yes I understand that but where are 99% of fuel tanks? In the back. Do the same test that you are saying but stand on the back deck where most fuel tanks then take one step back on the pod. Sure the back will sit deeper but might only be a half inch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts