BowFishing Country banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am building a new carp boat, i currently have a 14ft with a 25horse mercury tiller, i have a Minnesota 55lb thrust 12v system, with a co pilot, 4 100w lights on the bow, and a 2000 predator generator. I bought a 18ft flat bottom boat in the fall that’s has new platform on the front, I have a 60 hp mercury 4 stroke i was thinking of putting on but i think its worth more to sell and get a 40 hp and save some coin, I am thinking of upgrading to a 24v trolling motor with a remote like, a 70 or 80lb thrust. I bought 2 swamp eye lights for the project and want to buy more, and don’t know if i should upgrade to a 3000w generator. I am going to end up selling my 14ft flatbottom, but since this is my second build I am over thinking everything and have been tossing around all these ideas in my head.... moral of the rant is....
With an 18ft boat should i...
1.A. get a bigger trolling motor if so what is advised for thrust, shaft length, voltage....?
1.B. Take the 55lb thrust off old boat?

2.A. Sell the 60hp motor for coin and use the money for a 40hp motor and save money for project
2.B. Put the 60hp motor on and make a steering console and throttleu
2.C. Put the 60hp motor on and make it a tiller
2.D. Put the 25hp mercury on from the old boat and sell the 60Hp

3.A. Keep the 2000w predator off the old boat
3.B. Upgrade to a 3000W generator

I also don’t know if it is worth to make an elevated platform or keep the platform as it is...

ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would definitely not swap the 55 troller on the new boat. I would get a 24v 80lb hand control trolling motor for that size boat. I would also keep the 60hp outboard. Nobody ever says they wish they had less motor and a 25 hp might not even plane that boat. As far as tiller or console, if you shooting spots aren't far from the launch a tiller would be fine and save room but if you have any distance to travel a console is nice. Where you mount it is just preference. Since most people decide eventually to add more and more lights I would go with as much generator as you can afford and the benefit of it being bigger on the front side with fewer lights is it won't have to work as hard and will be a little quieter. I would keep that platform as it is. I have had both elevated and flush and will always have a flush going forward. Good luck. Looks like a nice upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
I agree with baileyb. With one difference. I dont see the need to up size the generator. You will have plenty of genny power to power the 4 100's and 2 outrigger lights with the 2000.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You left out the most important part which is your budget. Get as much as you can afford but my priorities would start with the motors. Unless you fish small lakes where your rarely use the outboard, it doesn't matter if your bowfishing, rod and reel fishing, skiing or pleasure boating, always and I mean always max out the HP for the boat. If you are rigging it yourself, go larger than the coast guard rating by up to 25%. I used to work for a marine dealer. People that under power boats and actually use them are back within a year looking for a bigger motor or to trade it off.

The trolling motor is the same thing. The 55lb is not enough. 80 will work but If you are already investing in a new trolling motor it's crazy not to go with the biggest one available. Even with the most powerful electric trolling motor, I guarantee you will still bitch about not having enough power.

Since it sounds like you are on a tighter budget, keep the generator you have until you add enough convertors or lights to need a bigger one.

Keep the deck flush unless you shoot in the daylight. Looks like you will probably want to make the existing deck longer.

I wouldn't turn it into a console unless you already had all the controls and everything for the outboard. Save space and money. With a flush deck, the tiller is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts