BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at building a raised deck, just can’t decide on lights, how to power them, etc. I’ve got a small tailgater genny 700 running watts but I’d prefer to be silent. I don’t need to go all night long. 5-6 hours would be enough for me. Buying a new quiet generator is out for right now, so what would you all suggest. Would 2 batteries keep me going that long

·
Registered
123 Posts
to run quiet LED lights with batteries is the way to go
however you have to work out number of lights and amp draw then its based on battery amp hours
5-6 hours is a long time but again its all about how few lights you can get away with
You can spend way more on lights and batteries than one of the new quiet generators doesn't have to be a honda

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
also where are you located, what kinda of waters stained/clear

·
Registered
20 Posts
Only complaint I have ever had with LED's on batteries would be the amp draw that they create. But I also have not changed over from the 12v system that came on my boat. So if you want to run silent you just have to make sure you size your wire right and get the right batteries like Ddolph said above. If later down the road you want to add a powermax in to recharge. Just make sure you size the wire going to the batteries from the converter to whatever Amp output your converter is. I myself am looking at changing over to a 120v set up just because i'm tired of dealing with the batteries and I can cut my amp draw down to around 6A with 7-140W lights vs my current 29A with 7-50W lights.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Running silent sounds great in theory, but it sure is a pain in the ass. I didn't make it a full season before putting the generator back in the boat. Much easier topping the generator off with fuel once in a while than trying to keep batteries full between outings and having to leave the lake on a nice night because you ran out of juice.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
i think the only real feasible way to run silent is with the uses of inadequate lights. Which for starters is fine because you don't know any different. but once you start using actual bowfishing lights the amount of batteries you would have to have to run as long as you want would be expensive and heavy. probably as much as some of these genny's

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ran 6 48w 4" cube lights and 2 36w 7" light bars with yellow film on 24v along with a #74 troller and could get about 4 hours on two interstate group 27 deep cycle batteries. We typically fish pretty slow so the troller didn't have a huge draw. Switched to a champion 2000w inverter and 9 viugreum 50w.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I run 10 selites on two 200AH batteries hooked up at 24v. I have turned on the lights in the garage and they last 10hrs. On the water with the trolling motor get between 7 & 9hrs. $800 for the batteries, $250 for the box to put them in and $200 for the charger. Dump the generator, two trolling motor batteries and I added 90# to the boat with this system. Is it harder then putting gas in a generator? Yes. But all it takes is a little planning. I put an alternator in the boat, an inverter I'm my truck to keep the batteries topped off. For me I would never go back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we have done it both ways on different boats and had success with both. On our last boat we ran silent with 6 30 watt lights and could run 5-6 hours probably on 2 batteries. On our new boat we are running 10 100 watt LED's and honestly the difference in the amount you can see is not very impressive for being over 5 x as many watts. I personally just prefer the generator so I don't have to charge batteries after every time and I know the lights are always running at full brightness. Cost of good batteries with high AH definitely adds up though when ur talking about batteries vs. a generator. We run a generac IQ 2000 and are very happy with it for much less $ than some of the others.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I only experienced running silent one time and it was a guided trip in KY. I really enjoyed not listening to a generator all night. I have 5 400w hps and am thinking my next setup will be using those outrigger led bars cause you can switch anytime from 12/24 to 120v. My 2000w inverter can still be loud and obnoxious when running those big hps lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts