BowFishing Country banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. this is the deal I am new to this sport. Fished a couple of tournaments this year and i am having issues with my FandD real seat. it will not stay tight the shoot thru rod is always coming loose and i have torqued it on pretty tight.is there a better one?

also having problems with my rest its a quickdraw it rotates where the shaft goes into the hoop for lack of better words. I am a mechanic and i do not understand how someone can make a product that will not lock down getting ready to start welding this crap together so it will stay put.
I am shooting a brand new osprey i dont want to strip sompthing out but ill tell ya i am putting this stuff on tight. Is this normal ???
I am also having trouble with arrows, My son shot a huge carp last weekend and it pulled the tip off the shaft we were shooting innerlock 3 barb grapples.I guess ill have to start pinning all my points to the shaft. Does someone make a crimping device to crimp the arrows to the shaft?
we are having a lot of pull offs when using anything but innerlocks I.E. shureshot type points so im going to take all those off my shafts and go with gene davis or innerlocks.

I was also told not to shoot carbon shaft arrows with a osprey , I would like some suggestions on shafts please. I have a bunch of the RPM Jinx Hazard shafts and a few of the RPM white shafts , should i keep these and use them or put them on craigs list. I have been buying inexpensive shafts and now im thinking its time to buy sompthing different is there a difference as far as flight and accuracy goes. thanks for the help fellers im getting frustrated beyond belief

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've been shooting a cajun yellowjacket shaft with a mission x4 bow set at 45# with way better results than wit any white arrows I've tried shooting with it, I really like how the rpm hazard shafts shoot, I've just gotta do some minor mods to the tips and I'll probably start shooting them more, if you decide to get rid of the hazads send me a pm, I'd definitely be interested in them

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
All I shoot is carbon arrows anymore I don't know why someone would tell you you can't. Bowfish 24/7 will get you straightened out on your rest issue love quick draw wouldn't trade it for anything. I like the Bowfishing extreme reel seat. There's a new reel seat coming out by Jeff beal not sure when though. I pin all my arrows nothing better than peace of mind.

·
Registered
462 Posts
All your problems are problems that have plagued many people over the years. Part of bowfishing is figuring out what works in your situation with the equipment you have. Sometimes, you have to change equipment. You may find an electrical crimper that fits the points (3/8") or you can make one from a set of bolt cutters. If you crimp, you will not get it off, so don't go on a crimping spree until you get a setup you have confidence in. RPM crimps theirs, so you will have to cut the point or cut the shaft to get it off. Lately I've been doing a lot of experimenting for the "long range project" and have been using plain hot-melt glue and I have been amazed at how well it holds. I've been using arrows with a six inch steel extension between the shaft and point and have been shooting silvers and bigheads and hauling them over a steel rail about a foot and a half above the water. One hazard shaft even splintered at the junction from the extreme leverage but the glue held. Try a new tip and it doesn't work? heat it and switch it with another one. Point on crooked? Heat and fix it. Point eventually work loose? Heat it and the glue sets again. I actually had one come loose and it still got the fish in. It would wiggle on the shaft but still not come off. I don't know if it's the best, but it is for experimenting when I'm changing out tips, extensions, shafts.

What shafts will work depends on your setup and situation. Higher poundage requires stiffer shafts for accuracy and penetration. Never heard of the carbon/Osprey thing. Maybe they're saying the Osprey shoots so hard it may shatter them on rocky bottoms? I am truly impressed at the efficiency of the Osprey, especially with absurdly heavy arrows. How many arrows you lose can also factor into what ones you use. $25 a pop and have a three-arrow day and you then tend to get discouraged. It's all a matter of figuring out where you are and where you want to be and taking the baby steps to get there. Bowfishing is not nearly as main-stream as many things, and the equipment is not nearly as refined yet. That's why we still see so many new products coming out. It's also quite demanding on the equipment. Not a good combination.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

We have a lot of heavy weeds in a lot of areas we shoot, I went with the Gene Davis points and hazard shafts, Problem GONE not one single pull off yesterday and i shot some long shots in weeds that destroyed the penetration of the arrows i was using.I have found my happy Place LOL.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rpm bowfishing .com
Nrg shaft ds3 tip nothing better
Pm and I can get u free shipping

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Lol...the Osprey won't shoot carbons...that's a new one :laugh:

I'll tell ya what is true, shooting on a Tuesday night, between the hours of 9:36-11:14pm, on a waxing moon, with a SE wind, while facing straight east, will cause your lower outboard limb to splinter where it bolts to the bow. This is always true, UNLESS you shoot your 8th fish on its left side, from shore, while standing on a slight uphill.

But I wouldn't tempt fate-better to be safe than sorry :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, Good one, Another weekend of shooting and still have great luck with the gene Davis points, ill not go back to another. Pinned the points so as long as i stay out of the rocks i should be O-Tay.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts