BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a preface, I'm not entirely new to generators. I live in an area with terribly unreliable electric service so I've gotten quite good at hooking up my 8000 watt Generac to my house. I also have a 2000 watt Predator Inverter. Say what you want about the Predator brand, its a dang good little unit and quiet.

So I'm buying a 2018 Grizzly Tracker. I wanted a 2019 as they upgraded the generator to a smaller, quieter inverter, but a $4000 difference in price made for the 2018 more attractive.

I know the 2018 comes with a rather noisy generator. Which doesn't bother me on a lot of lakes that we will be fishing. But, I live in a Lake Community and with all the close houses, there will be b!tchin.

And I don't know much about the set up on the boat other than there are 8 50watt 120 volt lights. The existing generator says "Inverter/battery Charger". I also don't know much about inverters. I've been reading on this forum for awhile and still don't total understand everything given the 120 volt system and the 12 volt charging system.

My two current thoughts:

1. I have 4 12volt 50 watt LED lights at home that I can mount on the top rails and just run to two deep cycle batteries. Probably give me several hours of light and will be quiet. What would be a good set up to charge these from the Predator Inverter? Would something like this charge the batteries?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/auto-boat-batteries-chargers/on-board-chargers-inverters/pc/104794380/c/104698080/sc/104465880/professional-mariner-prosport/3072542.uts?slotId=0

2. Replace the stock generator with the Predator and run that system off it. Only issue that I see is the connection (I will attach the pic below).

Thanks in advance. I'm going to keep reading so I can get up to speed. Any info you can pass along is helpful!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From additional reading, if I go the 12 volt route, I will probably buy a Powermax Converter to charge the batteries. All depends on how the two batteries will power the 4 lights.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Are you sure the lights are a/c? Seems like the trackers all come with 12v DC lights from the factory. If they are ac you can hook them straight up to your predator no problem, if they're DC you'll need a power converter, powermax is the way to go.
Dont try to use an onboard charger while running your lights/troller, you'll end up frying and possibly catching the charger on fire (dont ask how I know lol).
You more than likely will not be happy with only running 4 50w LEDs, unless you have stupidly clear water that's just not a lot of light output.
I run a 3500 predator inverter and other than changing the oil every 20 or so hours I've never had to do anything to it, I absolutely live it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure the lights are a/c? Seems like the trackers all come with 12v DC lights from the factory. If they are ac you can hook them straight up to your predator no problem, if they're DC you'll need a power converter, powermax is the way to go.
Dont try to use an onboard charger while running your lights/troller, you'll end up frying and possibly catching the charger on fire (dont ask how I know lol).
You more than likely will not be happy with only running 4 50w LEDs, unless you have stupidly clear water that's just not a lot of light output.
I run a 3500 predator inverter and other than changing the oil every 20 or so hours I've never had to do anything to it, I absolutely live it.

Yes, the 2017 models came with a DC Generator and I assume 12v lights. The 2018 comes with a 120v lights. The generator listed on their sight doesn't not specify if its 120 A/C or 12 DC, but I would have to assume its 120 A/C.

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/features_options.cfm?boat=4275

I would only be running the 4 - 50wat LED's in my lake community lake. For the most part, its stupid clear water. The other public lakes in the area, would have to run the 8 light factory system.

They changed the lighting system on the 2019's to use a different Inverter. I have to assume its a lot quieter.

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/features_options.cfm?boat=4602

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update to the previous post. After looking at the picture of the generator, it appears to be a cheap Yangke 12v DC inverter and battery charger. So either A, they did not put 120v lights on it or B, they somehow have another inverter onboard to convert the 12V to 120volts for the lighting.

Makes sense why they jumped the 2019 price so high as they put a much better generator onboard.

I can see me going the route of the PowerMax Converter and my Predator Inverter.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah that's a 12v hookup with the 2 single wires going to the generator. A single powermax should do you fine if you're only running lights off of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's a 12v hookup with the 2 single wires going to the generator. A single powermax should do you fine if you're only running lights off of it.
That’s what I’m thinking. I will probably try and see how loud the stock DC generator is and go from there. I have two extra deep cycle batteries that I could hook up with the power max converter and use my predator to power it.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
Yup believe that is a 12v system, don’t know of tracker doing any 120v lights.... our buddy changed up his tracker bowfish model from 12/24vdc lights to 120v with Honda gennie...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Amsugg on here had that generator when he bought his tracker, maybe he'll chime in

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So update again. Picked up the boat today. Its a 2018, but Tracker at some point must have changed to the 2019 generator and lights. It has the FIRMAN Inverter Generator that the 2019 model was supposed to come with as well as 120v lights.

They must have made a mid year model change and upgraded it. I'm fine with it. I would have rather had the 120v lights and the better, quieter generator.

I'm still considering getting a Powermax Converter to charge the 12v trolling motor battery. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i run 10 100 watt leds and a 24 volt powermax invertered to keep the troller good all night. plenty of amps and power to run all night. i run a 1860 tracker grizzly. i use a 3500 watt predator genny from harbor freight.
Nice looking set up. I thought about going the powermax route, but with my lights all being 120 volt and only the trolling motor battery running off the deep cycle, I opted to just go with an onboard battery charger (which I won't run when running the trolling motor). I have two extra trolling motor batteries at home that I can always bring and swap out one of them.

One question, the mechanic at Cabelas told me that I could run the 12 volt cord from the generator and hook it up to the deep cycle battery while I'm operating the trolling motor. It only puts out 5 amps. Will this hurt the trolling motor to do that?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Nice looking set up. I thought about going the powermax route, but with my lights all being 120 volt and only the trolling motor battery running off the deep cycle, I opted to just go with an onboard battery charger (which I won't run when running the trolling motor). I have two extra trolling motor batteries at home that I can always bring and swap out one of them.

One question, the mechanic at Cabelas told me that I could run the 12 volt cord from the generator and hook it up to the deep cycle battery while I'm operating the trolling motor. It only puts out 5 amps. Will this hurt the trolling motor to do that?
That would be a waste of time and effort, your troller is gonna be pulling at least 55 amps and adding 5 amps in isn't gonna help much at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would be a waste of time and effort, your troller is gonna be pulling at least 55 amps and adding 5 amps in isn't gonna help much at all.
That was sort of what I was thinking. Probably like trying to fill a lake with a spoon. I'm pretty sure I can run all night if need be on two batteries.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts