BowFishing Country banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to airboats and am ordering one 20x8 diamond back hull with 30 inch sides Any advice is welcome but my main question is big water like I'm from pa and the best fishing is lake Erie and I want to know how much is to much for rough water? Don't want to make a rookie move and sink?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
he people that build them should have an idea of what to stay out of been on Lake Erie once can get rough!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Fished a tourney on Erie last summer and half way thru the night a storm rolled in. My team (in an 1872 sea ark fan) and an airboat ran about 4 miles from the launch to fish. There were about 3' waves and the airboat couldn't make it home on the water, they wound up having to drive the dikes and the road the 4 miles home to the launch and dq themselves.

Granted their boat was smaller than yours but you have to watch the wind and be very familiar with the water you shoot on Erie cuz it can get bad fast. Fortunately these guys knew what they were doing because I That would have been a sketchy ride home.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yikes! Airboat on one of the Great Lakes? No thank you. It can be done but use your head. If you think the waves are nearly too big for a normal boat, don't even attempt it in an airboat. We get some big waves on Lake Texoma and we don't take the airboat unless its sub 10 mph winds. But I would imagine the waves on Erie would dwarf Texoma's. Be careful. REALLY get to know your boat and how it performs before attempting big water. Your tall sides will help but the way airboats sit so ass heavy, I am nervous for you just thinking about that situation. When you get your boat and have some time on the stick, go to a very small lake in 10-15 mph winds and get a taste for it. If you plan to fish when storms are possible, go prepared to spend the night on the shore somewhere.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I fish on saginaw bay all the time from a 1448 I've lived by lake huron my whole life so I know how bad it can get in a hurry I'm always close enough to a launch or soeplace I can get away from the weather in minutes just pick your days and watch the weather and you'll be fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts