BowFishing Country banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
30lb test?!?! If his dad caught one just a few weeks ago that weighed 95lbs then why in the he// would he be using 30lb test line?!
When you're fishing open water like most people do for bluecats you'd be surprised what you can get in with 30lb line. I've caught sharks 250lb+ on 30lb line in Florida. I know a bunch of trophy catfish guys that use smaller 30-40lb line on their rigs because of the amount of line they can cram on a reel, and play the drag. Think about it this way..if you're using a penn reel that will hold 400 yards of 30lb mono line, then you have more room to play a fish than if you were using 80lb mono which would be less than half that capacity. Keep in mind a lot of people don't use braided super line either. I am one, for example, that uses mono the majority of the time. Don't get me wrong, I fish heavy cover so I use the heaviest mono I can get away with, but then again I'm probing log jams for monster flatheads, not drifting open water for big blues. Just saying that a fish that size on a high quality 30lb line is entirely possible.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Would have been fun to shoot.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Haha if you noodling in pinopolis i wouldnt doubt that something ripped your arm off, it was probably about 12 foot long green and would weight about 800 pounds. Anyone that noodles anywhere in sc has some serious kahones!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts