BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. From Michigan here. I’ve decided to get into the world of bowfishing with zero previous experience. I have a seaark RX180 cc that I’m currently in the process of setting up. I ordered 10- 50 watt 24 volt 2700k LED floods, a 30 amp battery charger, 2000 watt inverter generator, and a list full of other goodies. I will probably have lots of questions about this and would like some opinions about my setup and would like some input about how to setup, what to change, what bows and arrows to get, what type of water to fish in, what times of the year to go etc. I’m excited about this new hobby and look forward to learning all about it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
best bet is to get in some of the groups on Facebook as there is only about 3-5 people that still get on this forum anymore, bowfishing nation, and then there is a boat builds and ideas one as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
best bet is to get in some of the groups on Facebook as there is only about 3-5 people that still get on this forum anymore, bowfishing nation, and then there is a boat builds and ideas one as well
Well thing is I don’t have Facebook. And not many people in my town do this sport that I am aware of yet anyway.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome from MN!

Are you planning on charging your batteries while fishing? If so what type of charger did you pick up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome from MN!

Are you planning on charging your batteries while fishing? If so what type of charger did you pick up?
I picked up a Power Max 30 amp 24 volt battery charger. I also bought a WEN 56203i 2000-Watt inverter generator for it. Hopefully should extend my trips when I want to be out for longer than just what my batteries will supply power for.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Stay away from that version of the viugreums, they have the thinner heat sinks. They get really hot and are not nearly as bright as the previous version. I've tested both side by side.

If you are capable with soldering iron and don't mind doing a little work, I would recommend these. viugreum 100w warm white w sensor

Unfortunately you can't find the 50,100, or 150 watt lights in warm white anymore. You can however get the 100w with motion sensor. If you are comfortable with soldering you can easily remove the cover and bypass/remove the sensor.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The main reasoning for 12/24v lights is to run silent without running a generator. Obviously you can fire up the generator to recharge the batteries or to extend your trip a little bit.

I did a little checking on your setup. I'm assuming that you are going to be running a 24v trolling motor?

Your 24v 30amp powermax will use 9amps or about 1080w max on your generator.

Your 10 50w (500w) lights will use about 21 amps (500w/24v = 20.8amps) which will leave 9 amps to charge batteries and extend your trolling motor power.

How much power your trolling motor uses depends on the size and what percentage of power you are running at.
Minn kota 24v 70# thrust max is 42amps. 24v 80# max is 56amps.

With all that in mind if you don't plan on running silent you may be better off running 110v lights off your generator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The main reasoning for 12/24v lights is to run silent without running a generator. Obviously you can fire up the generator to recharge the batteries or to extend your trip a little bit.

I did a little checking on your setup. I'm assuming that you are going to be running a 24v trolling motor?

Your 10 50w (500w) lights will use about 21 amps (500w/24v = 20.8amps) which will leave 9 amps to charge batteries and extend your trolling motor power.

How much power your trolling motor uses depends on the size and what percentage of power you are running at.

With all that in mind if you don't plan on running silent you may be better off running 110v lights off your generator.
Thanks for the info. My stays out will probably not be all nighters, so my intent is have the option and go 24v silent when I just go out for an hour or 2, but still have the option of extending my stay by running the genny, but not overtaxing it and making it louder by only running it 50-70% capacity. Hence I only bought the 30a version. I plan on running my 24v minnkota 70 lb thrust minnkota on the system as well. I guess time will tell, and if I need to increase my system, I will. I just really want the option to go in silence.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Stay away from that version of the viugreums, they have the thinner heat sinks. They get really hot and are not nearly as bright as the previous version. I've tested both side by side.

If you are capable with soldering iron and don't mind doing a little work, I would recommend these. viugreum 100w warm white w sensor

Unfortunately you can't find the 50,100, or 150 watt lights in warm white anymore. You can however get the 100w with motion sensor. If you are comfortable with soldering you can easily remove the cover and bypass/remove the sensor.
I just watched one of dustin apples videos and he was showing these exact lights.

Looking at these, they are rated for 120vac input. Do they make a DC powered light? Do you have any recommendations for 24vdc powered lights? That is what my system will be running off of.
Only AC lights

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just watched one of dustin apples videos and he was showing these exact lights.

They are a newer version of the viugreums. The fins on the back for the heat sink are much smaller and spread farther apart. They do still work, but they do get hotter and didn't seem as bright. I had an older 50w (don't have the holes along the edge) and one like Dustin has in the video. The older style is brighter, but they are harder to find. Viugreum has an even newer version than these but the brackets are a pain and not as nice as the previous two versions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

So can you go over my math? 580w of lighting / 24v= 24.16A
24.16-30A charger with generator = 5.83 leftover current
2 110Amp/hour batteries = 220 amp/hour
220 times 85%= 187 amp hours worth of battery juice.
If I run my 70 lb thrust trolling motor at 50% should draw around 21 amps according to minn kota.
21 amps minus 5.83 amps of generator leftover amps is 15.17 amps.
187 amp hours divided by 15.17 amps is 12.32 hours of runtime.

Does this make sense? If I run the system this way continuously, will this be my run time? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
256 Posts
So can you go over my math? 580w of lighting / 24v= 24.16A
24.16-30A charger with generator = 5.83 leftover current
2 110Amp/hour batteries = 220 amp/hour
220 times 85%= 187 amp hours worth of battery juice.
If I run my 70 lb thrust trolling motor at 50% should draw around 21 amps according to minn kota.
21 amps minus 5.83 amps of generator leftover amps is 15.17 amps.
187 amp hours divided by 15.17 amps is 12.32 hours of runtime.

Does this make sense? If I run the system this way continuously, will this be my run time? Thanks for any input.
Close but not quite.

You have two batteries in series to get 24v which means you only have 110 amp hours.

Unless you are running lithium ion batteries, you don't really want to run lead acid batteries under 50%. Running below 50% decreases battery life and the # of charge cycles.

You would have about 4-5 hours of runtime.

·
Registered
982 Posts
just run the generator .... an join the club lol

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
just run the generator .... an join the club lol
My thoughts as well. If you are planning on running a generator any way might as well just get the 110/120v lights and eliminate the batteries and the powermaxes. Save yourself the failure points, weight and money

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Close but not quite.

You have two batteries in series to get 24v which means you only have 110 amp hours.

Unless you are running lithium ion batteries, you don't really want to run lead acid batteries under 50%. Running below 50% decreases battery life and the # of charge cycles.

You would have about 4-5 hours of runtime.
Morley: Will there be any issues with my charging system like this? I currently have a 3 bank onboard battery charger on my batteries now. But am adding a PowerMax 24v charger to it. But can I use both chargers at once? Or should I just use the powermax? I don't want to damage my system in any way. But would like to be able to use my onboard charger as well if possible because it will charge my dedicated boat battery for running my electronics and interior boat lights. Thanks for any input.

unnamed (1).jpg

·
Registered
982 Posts
Run the power max when fishing and the charger when at home

Reactions: ddolph
1 - 20 of 34 Posts