BowFishing Country banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever tried using night vision goggles for finding bigheads? ive heard of people using moonlight to look for their mouths feeding on the surface and this idea hit me!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. Don't know if you could shoot a bow with them on, though. Too expensive to try out just to see.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Don't know how it would work but surely it would help you locate them I would think

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well if you mounted a green laser on the bow the night vision would pick it up and you wouldn't even have to draw back to your anchor point with the goggles on. just pull it back and let her rip. but I agree its too expensive to do t without testing it first!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Not sure how clear the current generation of night vision is, but I played with a set back in the early 2000's and it was way too grainy for shooting fish. I'm sure the newest, cutting edge stuff is far superior. It would be interesting to try it out and virtually eliminate lights for bigs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not sure how clear the current generation of night vision is, but I played with a set back in the early 2000's and it was way too grainy for shooting fish. I'm sure the newest, cutting edge stuff is far superior. It would be interesting to try it out and virtually eliminate lights for bigs.
Gen 1 is pretty crappy but the gen 3 is pretty awesome from what I hear. I've also wondered if the infrared might light up the fish better/deeper. I also wonder about an infrared FLIR type sensor. I know fish are cold-blooded, but their muscles do put off some heat when they move.

The ultimate would be a multi-transducer sonar tied into a virtual reality headset that would show you everything regardless of water conditions. Maybe someday...

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can pickup a monocular night vision set up fairly cheap. But I have shot them many nights cruising the top water with their mouths open. A ton of silvers like that also. Some places we shoot natural light from places on banks put off the right amount of light and you don't need lights at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts