BowFishing Country banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance folks. First time on the site. Not first time bowfishing. I am in no way, shape or form an electrician. I searched threads as much as I could and can't find my answer. I run 8 50W leds and 2 27W leds parallel off of one battery. Question: Why does the last light (furthest from the battery) dim first as the battery dies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Apologies in advance folks. First time on the site. Not first time bowfishing. I am in no way, shape or form an electrician. I searched threads as much as I could and can't find my answer. I run 8 50W leds and 2 27W leds parallel off of one battery. Question: Why does the last light (furthest from the battery) dim first as the battery dies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The farther electricity has to travel down a wire, the more resistance it will get therefore creating voltage loss. Since the last light is getting the least amount of voltage to begin with it will be the first to show the drain on your battery.

It sounds like you have your wires running from one light to the next and all the lights on the same run. Are you running your lights on 12v or 24v? What gauge wire are you running to your lights?

At 454 watts for all of your lights at 12v you would have 37.83 amps and 18.91 amps at 24v. Depending on wire length, you would want to run a minimum of 6 gauge wire for 12v and 8 gauge for 24v. Anything smaller than those would generate more loss and quicker dimming on your lights.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Just out of curiosity how much run time are you getting off one battery?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The farther electricity has to travel down a wire, the more resistance it will get therefore creating voltage loss. Since the last light is getting the least amount of voltage to begin with it will be the first to show the drain on your battery.

It sounds like you have your wires running from one light to the next and all the lights on the same run. Are you running your lights on 12v or 24v? What gauge wire are you running to your lights?

At 454 watts for all of your lights at 12v you would have 37.83 amps and 18.91 amps at 24v. Depending on wire length, you would want to run a minimum of 6 gauge wire for 12v and 8 gauge for 24v. Anything smaller than those would generate more loss and quicker dimming on your lights.
Correct. All lights are on the same run. 12V. 12 gauge wire. Furthest light from battery is approximately 10 ft. away. Any other advice. Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts