BowFishing Country banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to paint part of my hull but I was wanting to see what type of paint would hold up the best on aluminum????

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used krylon, nutmeg. Looks a lot like a flat dark earth. Then I did a camo pattern with tan, black and OD green with a painting sponge.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,372 Posts
Clean it with a strong degreaser first, then scuff it, then wipe it down with acetone before applying primer / paint

·
Registered
236 Posts
x2 on what Kajun said. If you prime you should be able to stick just about any paint to it but not all spray paints are created equal. For what it is, Krylon is probably a good choice though. Added bonus, it comes in almost any color you want.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A fellow down the street painted mine. He used a self-etching primer that coated the boat in a yellowish tint as if sticky pollen had coated the boat evenly. He used an automotive butternut paint as the base before adding the darker stencils to complete the NatGear camo. It turned out pretty good.

Here's a picture of the boat with the bottom completed but the handrails with the base only. Couldn't find any that I took of it with just the primer. Guess I've since deleted them.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm in the same process as you. I have an old boat that I just sanded and scuffed. the paint was really worn and sun faded. I used an orbital sander over the entire rig, paying extra close attention around the rivets and any paint flakes to make sure everything is smooth.

Next week I'm going to take the boat out in my yard and hose it down, let it dry, then give it a good wipe down with Acetone. then primer from a rattle can and then drab colors from a rattle can. Final touch will be to put a satin clear coat over it for added protection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can get away with rattle cans, but the correct recommended way would be to sand the alum with 320g , etch prime, epoxy prime and then color.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A fellow down the street painted mine. He used a self-etching primer that coated the boat in a yellowish tint as if sticky pollen had coated the boat evenly. He used an automotive butternut paint as the base before adding the darker stencils to complete the NatGear camo. It turned out pretty good.

Here's a picture of the boat with the bottom completed but the handrails with the base only. Couldn't find any that I took of it with just the primer. Guess I've since deleted them.

That is a really cool stencil pattern! Would love to do my bass boat like that on the bottom..any ideas on where to get the stencils??

·
Registered
319 Posts
http://www.styx-river.com/
http://www.basspro.com/Styx-River-Camo-Boat/Blind-Stencil-Kit/product/2224123/
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Redleg-Camo-Natural-Gear-4-piece-camouflage-stencil-kit-duck-boat-paint-pattern/339156848?goog_pla=1&gpid=172372224541&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o6&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyum6BRDQ-9jU4PSVxf8BEiQAu1AHqiu2dfosik462L94lAqjxTW0lBYeDwIZBT9DDgTufn4aAuw08P8HAQ

My guy has a regular job but does boats on the side. He put made his mad money in college doing it and it was just too lucrative to stop so he's still doing it. Not sure where he gets his stencils but know he has accounts with several automotive paint distributors.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
If doing a camo pattern. It's hard to beat rustoleum. Their camo paints holds up really well and bonds pretty well, plus it's a true flat finish. I've even painted plastic goose decoys with the stuff and it doesn't chip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts