BowFishing Country banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wilson creek boat ramp in the river off of santee cooper is a disgrace,trash, dead fish never seen it that bad any where ive been somebodys Bowfishin club in that area should have a clean up day there id come down and help.Ive picked up my share when I leave but dont even put A dent in it.:td::groan: They watch that place like a hawk t threw over the cable and you will be caught.But they let the boat ramp get that bad? Whos in charge of that ramp.Anybody know?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great post Joe, no matter what the laws are or are not the bottom line is we need to protect our sport. We all know that there are organazations, groups and people trying every day to do away with Hunting, Fishing and yes, Bowfishing and they will use everything they can against us. If the "sinking" thing is legal in your state then you have every right to do it but remember that non bowfishers may not understand what you are doing, they may not understand the laws and think that what you are doing is illegal or bad in some way. As outdoorsman and women we are always in the spot light, someone is always trying to give us a bad name with every chance they get, lets make sure bowfishing stays around for ever.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I meant "organizations" thats what I get for typing and staying up late, ha!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Guys this is an interesting thread, mostly because I know less than nothing. Now I may be an idiot when it comes to bow fishing, but thats about it. So I read everyone of the comments and all I see is alot of *****ing and no explaining. I think those of you who are in the know should share, more like a standard-actually like a ABA standard, what new bow fishermen should do with their fish. Because I still don't know the etiquette or the most preferable way to dispose of fish.

·
Super Moderator
629 Posts
well actually there is little etiquette and a bunch of law. For example...Indiana is a wanton waste state. We can not throw fish bak in the water or in a ditch. To abide by the law I put my fish on rotating food plots and disc them in. In Kentucky you can put fish back in the water but then etiquette kicks in. Take them to deep water. slit their bellies and sink them. If you just throw them in they will eventually float and find bank. Not good for the sport. Hope this helps

·
Registered
629 Posts
Indiana's laws suck that's for sure..

Wanton Waste
The intentional waste and destruction of fish is prohibited unless the fish is required by law to be killed. Fish must not be mutilated and returned to the water unless the fish is lawfully used as bait. Fish parts, including entrails, must not be discarded into any state waters, but should be disposed of in a sanitary manner that does not pollute the water or become detrimental to public health or comfort.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use a deep freezer and my garbage man, but i really need something else before this next season. I agree stop complaining and start shooting ideals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another good way of disposing fish is to contact your local wildlife rehabilitator center, they may take donations of fish to feed to raptors. Also contact colleges and universities and talk to wildlife/natural resource programs, they could be doing projects/studies to where they have to use fish as bait and could use help getting some.

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Some of you bring up the point of stop b!tching? Well thats easy to say for some. The more you get around the more that you see the trouble. I can see where a "NEW" guy would not know what to do with the fish. #1 like anything you get into know the law! #2 Are these the same guys that are dumping Deer carcass on the side of the road? I MEAN REALLY YOU TELL ME THAT SOME DONT KNOW ITS UNSPORTSMAN LIKE AND ILLEGAL TO DUMP FREAKING FISH AT A BOAT RAMP OR THE SIDE OF THE ROAD? YOUR RIGHT MAYBE I NEED TO STOP B!TCHING AND START HANDING OUT COMMON SENSE!

·
BFC-Facebook Admin
7,967 Posts
Some of you bring up the point of stop b!tching? Well thats easy to say for some. The more you get around the more that you see the trouble. I can see where a "NEW" guy would not know what to do with the fish. #1 like anything you get into know the law! #2 Are these the same guys that are dumping Deer carcass on the side of the road? I MEAN REALLY YOU TELL ME THAT SOME DONT KNOW ITS UNSPORTSMAN LIKE AND ILLEGAL TO DUMP FREAKING FISH AT A BOAT RAMP OR THE SIDE OF THE ROAD? YOUR RIGHT MAYBE I NEED TO STOP B!TCHING AND START HANDING OUT COMMON SINCE!
And azz whippins

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Nine Finger Slinger, I guess since your calling me out. I'd like to know how it's common sense to know that it's not ok to punch an air bladder when the law says that what you should do. I hate to tell you this but that ain't common sense. I also don't really appreciate the fact that just because I got tired of reading numerous entries about nothing and said hey stop *****ing and start telling me what is the "BEST" way to get rid of the fish, that you assume that I'm the same guy that's throwing deer carcasses on the side of the road. So if your going to start handing out common sense, make sure you take your fair share. Because frankly most people that have been doing this for a number of years, have been telling me to throw them on the bank. Well I'm pretty GD sure that probably isn't the best policy either, just trying to use my common sense and all.

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Houndstooth! I just looked back at my post and never said anything about you? You sit there and just said for me to use common sense? Sounds like you need a lesson in common sense! Your the one asking what to do with the fish from ones that are telling you to throw them on the bank. If I call you out I will do it by name and can care less where you are from! I did say some? Is that your name? Don't ***** at me cause there are people that would rather point the finger rather than fix the problem! Do you think if a person would know better would sit back and watch some D-Bag $hit on Bowfishing? What ever dude! I wasn't talking about you was answering what was stated. I get this from Locals.

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Another thing. As far as the common sense deal I used the dumping of deer as an example. Same type of thing and it's illegal. Most that are doing these things know that dumping is not legal. That's why we don't see them do it. As I said above where your feelings got hurt. If you started Bowfishing and didn't know what to do with the fish you are one of them maybe a new guy. Here is the biggest Bowfishing web site to help out. Maybe there isn't many bowfishers in your area? Well there are plenty around here and I get phone calls or accused of doing this just because I Bowfish or some D-bag don't like me. Lol take it how you want. Wasn't towards you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well if you weren't talking to me I apologize. However, I was the one, after reading two pages of comments didn't learn anything about the best way to get rid of the fish. I know good and well that you shouldn't throw fish on the boat dock. THIS was my main point, as a person posted earlier- some state laws don't really tell you how to best deal with getting rid of fish. They simply tell you what they recommend, which according to another argument on this thread isn't good enough. Punching air bladders and throwing fish back in the water didn't go over with some of the other posters in the thread. I was really interested in reading this thread because I figured at some point some folks would come up with a number of ways to ethically get rid of the fish. Personally I don't think throwing them back in the water is the best policy. As far as taking it how I want, I just read your post and I was one of the "some" that got tired of looking at post that were continually saying the same thing. Now I'm going to say this again, If a state law says it's ok to punch the air bladder on a fish and throw it back in the water, but that isn't the best way to do it among ethical bow fishermen, well then that has nothing in the world to do with a person having common sense. As far as taking it however I want, well I wasn't just taking it how it was typed. If it was a misunderstanding I apologize, but I'm not going to sit around and tell me that I need common sense when I'm just trying to learn something. And who said anything about where I'm from?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Well if you weren't talking to me I apologize. However, I was the one, after reading two pages of comments didn't learn anything about the best way to get rid of the fish. I know good and well that you shouldn't throw fish on the boat dock. THIS was my main point, as a person posted earlier- some state laws don't really tell you how to best deal with getting rid of fish. They simply tell you what they recommend, which according to another argument on this thread isn't good enough. Punching air bladders and throwing fish back in the water didn't go over with some of the other posters in the thread. I was really interested in reading this thread because I figured at some point some folks would come up with a number of ways to ethically get rid of the fish. Personally I don't think throwing them back in the water is the best policy. As far as taking it how I want, I just read your post and I was one of the "some" that got tired of looking at post that were continually saying the same thing. Now I'm going to say this again, If a state law says it's ok to punch the air bladder on a fish and throw it back in the water, but that isn't the best way to do it among ethical bow fishermen, well then that has nothing in the world to do with a person having common sense. As far as taking it however I want, well I wasn't just taking it how it was typed. If it was a misunderstanding I apologize, but I'm not going to sit around and tell me that I need common sense when I'm just trying to learn something. And who said anything about where I'm from?
Good points... sometimes the law says it is ok to do one thing but the bowfishing community still frowns on it. I am going to help this out... I am starting a thread on the best, ethical ways to dispose of fish! Good questioning hound with out getting off topic and pizzy!

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
It's all good hound. Before I even posted the first post that you took to heart I read through the post. Plenty of ideas on what to do with the fish. Skippys post should take care of all your problems. Have a good one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
we do get a bad name for this an it sucks for us that do the right thing with our fish but i know of a few times that we have got rid of silvers that the catfishermen have snaged em an cut them up for bait an left them lay

·
Registered
472 Posts
fish will eventually float up no matter what you do to them if put in the water. i have seen numerous fish on nolin lake that have been filleted floating on the top of the water. i know its legal in ky to dump them in the water but i dont. i put mine in a sinkhole on my hunting property or burry them with my dozer.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts