BowFishing Country banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbie here. Expect to get flamed but.... my line of thinking is like deer hunting. i don't plan on shooting what i don't plan on eating.
is there anyone on here that bowfishes for the food, or just the kill?

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
I respect your opinion and moral compass,but carp are invasive and are not heavily targeted any other way.Deer need management as well,which is generally through hunting....where hunting is not allowed,deer too,are killed in mass,and often not utilized.Same goes for animals like coyotes...do you shoot coyotes?As fast as carp reproduce,unless there was a huge market for table fare there is no other way to control their numbers

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have no problems with being educated on the reasons for shooting without eating. Haven't been on here long enough to pick that up. I have no problems with wildlife management (it has it's benefits). Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
i have no problems with being educated on the reasons for shooting without eating. Haven't been on here long enough to pick that up. I have no problems with wildlife management (it has it's benefits). Thanks!!
:tu:,thats what these sites are for...to ask questions!We give our carp to anybody that will take em,and yes,they eat em.Out here we have a long history of gold mining which has left hundreds of thousands of lbs of mercury in or waterways.Bottom feeders like carp ingest this mercury and if too much of the fish is consumed(doesnt take much)it can be very toxic....so its actually not good to eat them here if you wanted to....lots of "ethnics",do though

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am proud to be a part of The Bowfishers of Arkansas this is just something that we as a club are doing to help stop the fish dumping around Arkansas... These will be posted at every boat ramp!!! :tu:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wonder if anyone has trouble with giggers. We went to one of our favorite ramps and there was fish all over. They were along the ramp, in the water by the ramp, and all along the bank. Give me an idea of how to to handle this. I don't want this to cause us trouble.

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's nice to see that some states bowfishing clubs have went far enough to make signs up, but apparently the people that are dumping are to stupid to read. I go to the river for some bowfishing and r&r,& the smell at the boat ramps will make you not even wanna back your boat down. Ok, I'm stepping down off my soap box, but please police each other, and be curtious to other people that use the ramp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What's recommended for easiest proper disposal? Me and my busy I shoot with just give the carp we shoot to our buddy that owns a catfish pay lake he cuts them in chunks and feeds his catfish over the winter. Seems to be a good disposal without trashing any banks or boat ramps. Do u guys think that's an ok way to do it??

·
Registered
271 Posts
What's recommended for easiest proper disposal? Me and my busy I shoot with just give the carp we shoot to our buddy that owns a catfish pay lake he cuts them in chunks and feeds his catfish over the winter. Seems to be a good disposal without trashing any banks or boat ramps. Do u guys think that's an ok way to do it??
That's a great way to get rid of them.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Two nights ago. West Lake in the Dugger unit of Greene Sullivan. White Chevy short bed regular cab with a Lowe 16' or so. Four "husky" 20 somethings. Absolute jack wagons at the ramp, and on the lake. I even said out loud that I should get a plate number. Dumped them on the ramp. Looking forward to seeing this bunch again. No wonder I get my butt chewed every time I go out.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I am proud to be a part of The Bowfishers of Arkansas this is just something that we as a club are doing to help stop the fish dumping around Arkansas... These will be posted at every boat ramp!!! :tu:

that is a very smart idea and should help the situation probably need extras they will get some target practice from t ime to time.

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
Two nights ago. West Lake in the Dugger unit of Greene Sullivan. White Chevy short bed regular cab with a Lowe 16' or so. Four "husky" 20 somethings. Absolute jack wagons at the ramp, and on the lake. I even said out loud that I should get a plate number. Dumped them on the ramp. Looking forward to seeing this bunch again. No wonder I get my butt chewed every time I go out.
Well did you get a tag # or boat # ????? Why not....

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Well did you get a tag # or boat # ????? Why not....
They hadn't dumped them when we left. They just struck me as the kind that would. I went back the next morning, and sure enough, fish on the ramp. They won't be hard to track down.

·
Registered
968 Posts
A good way to get rid of your fish is to put a free fish ad in craigslist. We have done this for several tournaments and always had people meet us at the weigh in that were very grateful to take all of them

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I guess I'm just lucky. We farm a little, and have some cows, so I keep a pile of manure to bury fish in. About 10 days in the compost, and they are gone. Leaving a stinkin azz mess on the ramp for all the other people who pay their taxes just never seemed like the right thing to do.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good post! I live in central florida so we dont have that problem here. I couldnt think of how simple minded someone would have to be to leave fish at a ramp or bank. When we go big shark fishing we make contact with a shelter and let them know we will be bringing them shark and they love it! I always go the extra mile to pick trash up also. If all of us did that and put in a little extra into making our outdoors better we wouldnt have areas being closed down and boundries and all that mess. I know its never going to change but it makes me happy knowing that yall care! If one person reads this thread and it impacts them its a good thing. Very good thread!

121 - 138 of 138 Posts