BowFishing Country banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Disco 2's and have had problems with both. Every now and then they sounded like they dry fired. The arrow would somewhat shoot but not much. Very loud sound. Others on the boat would ask what happened. No problems with the bow just a miss fire.
Then I had a cable slide pop off when this happened. Also, it was breaking knocks. Brought it in to a reputable service shop to have it looked at. They said seeing I had finger savers and only one knock the arrow knock might be getting pinched. And if the knock was not fully seated it would act as a dry fire and it could break the knock and pop the cable slide off.
So after them installing two knocks it was back to the water. It will shoot fine for a trip or two then the same thing. This time the cable or string popped off. So install that and a few times out and same thing.
So after much thought I have a few ideas but I'm a novice.
1. I wax both the cable and string. I even pull back and wax the string that goes around the cam. I have read not to do that. So will either of these cause my problem.
2. Last night it happened on a very close side shot. The kind that are so close to the boat you kind of have to reach out with both arms away from your body to shot. Could it be I'm twisting the bow and this is causing it? I'm not sure it was this type of shot on all the other times but I know it was a few of them.
3. Either it's the bow, setup or me doing something wrong.
I have had this happen on two,different bows. Strings only came off on one the last two times out.
I need some input. I'm bringing two bows every time out because something always happens. Help?
I know I'm not hitting the limbs on anything . I would have to bend down way to far to have that happen and no marks on the limbs.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Do you grip the bow tight, or use a wrist sling and shoot loose grip or open palm???? If grip it tight could be torquing or twisting the bow..

When draw the bow, How much finger do you wrap around the string???? Do you draw with string all way in on Knuckle joint??? If so draw with just finger tip with string on tip joint or like I shoot with string between the tip joint and tip of finger and string on the pad of the fingertip.

I think with part of your description you could be torquing the hand that holds the bow terribly and gripping the string pretty deep causing to pull string off to side of cams, also Check string and cams for "cam lean" if you hold the bow straight up and down see if cams tilt to one side or the other, if so could contribute to your problem and need corrected

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you grip the bow tight, or use a wrist sling and shoot loose grip or open palm???? If grip it tight could be torquing or twisting the bow..

When draw the bow, How much finger do you wrap around the string???? Do you draw with string all way in on Knuckle joint??? If so draw with just finger tip with string on tip joint or like I shoot with string between the tip joint and tip of finger and string on the pad of the fingertip.

I think with part of your description you could be torquing the hand that holds the bow terribly and gripping the string pretty deep causing to pull string off to side of cams, also Check string and cams for "cam lean" if you hold the bow straight up and down see if cams tilt to one side or the other, if so could contribute to your problem and need corrected
I use a wrist sling but more for resting inbetween shots or so I don't drop it in the lake. So i might be gripping it to tight. I only use my finger tips on the savers.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have seen it happen a few times where during a fast motion, snapshot, or the bow is pointed straight down, the arrow is not in the rest or actually falling out during the release. Every time that I've seen it occur its been on an Osprey with a shelf style rest (i.e. esper rest, fullbore, resinator etc...) and never hurt anything, but sounds exactly like a dry fire. When it happens the bow doesn't have the the arrow in front of the string and tries to shoot the arrow sideways. This could explain the broken nocks youre having as well.

That would be my guess of what your problem is. What kind of rest are you shooting?

·
Registered
728 Posts
What type of nocks are you shooting? This could be part of the issue; the nock working its way off the sting due to nock pinch. I recommend shooting a nock with a fairly tight fit on the string, look for something similar to an AAE "Plastinock".

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like nocking points are too tight and possibly pulling nock off string when you draw the bow due to nock pinch. Tends to happen more when you shoot 3 under. I had this problem on my H20 and my buddy didn't on the same bow and I believe it was because he shoots split fingers and I shoot 3 under.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like nocking points are too tight and possibly pulling nock off string when you draw the bow due to nock pinch. Tends to happen more when you shoot 3 under. I had this problem on my H20 and my buddy didn't on the same bow and I believe it was because he shoots split fingers and I shoot 3 under.
I shoot two finger, one over and one under.

·
Registered
116 Posts
you could be pinching it out I have seen that done with spit fingers its pretty easy to do. I honestly don't think anything is wrong with your bow I would find some nocks that fit the string pretty tight and if keeps doing it try to set up and shoot 3 under

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just checked my nock from the other night. Very loose, not sure why. I'm pretty sure this is the problem. I guess if u twisted the string or riser you could miss fire and have the string come off.
But I've had it miss fire and the string and cable would stay on. I have to believe this is more a nock problem.
I'll let u know how it fires with a new nock.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Some of my arrows were complete arrows from here
http://bowfishingextreme.com/CompleteArrows/BowfishingCompleteArrows.htm

I know I bought spare knocks from somewhere also. To me they all look the same. Are those knocks really that good?
I use only the AAE nocks. They wont open up most other nocks and provide a loose fitting that it seems you are experiencing. Some nocks are a bit slimmer in the ears and it allows them to open up without you realizing it. This can happen from the nock end of the arrow getting hung up on things or hitting the edge of the boat. I will break an ear off a nock before it will be loose fitting. I believe it also depends on the type of material and the color. Some nocks are made of a softer material allowing them to bend/open up I see this more in the clear/fluorescent color nocks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
This still doesn't make sense. How is the arrow being partially fired? I believe the bow is being dry-fired and possibly torqued, but it just doesn't make sense for the arrow not to either fire with full force or drop at your feet. Using a release with fingers straddling the nock, the nock could come off the string and not fall, but you should feel it and know not to fire. The nock does not have to snap on the string to work. It's handy, but people shot bows for thousands of years without snap-on nocks just fine. I think this is a pretty good voucher for the toughness of the bow, in any case.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My buddy has a Cajun Sucker Punch that he was using when this happened to him. He had it happen multiple times and some of the times the string fell off just as you are describing. He sent his bow back to Cajun and they sent him a brand new bow. He was planning on selling it because he did not want to use it after having this happen so many times. He used my old browning that I had as a back up bow. After just pulling it back a couple times, he had the string almost derail on my browning. I knew the problem was not my Browning bow and so did he. He then realized that it was what he was doing. He was gripping the bow so tight that the string was coming off the cams when he was drawing and shooting. So in my opinion it is probably you gripping the bow too tight. He realized the error of his ways, went back to the Cajun bow he was shooting and has not had the issue since.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My buddy has a Cajun Sucker Punch that he was using when this happened to him. He had it happen multiple times and some of the times the string fell off just as you are describing. He sent his bow back to Cajun and they sent him a brand new bow. He was planning on selling it because he did not want to use it after having this happen so many times. He used my old browning that I had as a back up bow. After just pulling it back a couple times, he had the string almost derail on my browning. I knew the problem was not my Browning bow and so did he. He then realized that it was what he was doing. He was gripping the bow so tight that the string was coming off the cams when he was drawing and shooting. So in my opinion it is probably you gripping the bow too tight. He realized the error of his ways, went back to the Cajun bow he was shooting and has not had the issue since.

And I heard the SP has deep groves to prevent derailing. Funny, I was thinking of selling my disco 2 and buying a SP. I have some new nocks coming so we shal see.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
That was my initial thought also with the description.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
That was my initial thought also with the description.....
You are more than likely right. My buddy had this happen multiple times during a tournament. He almost threw his bow into the water. It was likely the stress of the tournament that had him gripping the bow too tight in the first place, and then later the fear of being hit in the forearm with the string coming off that amplified him gripping his bow too tight. It sucks trying to repair a bow in the middle of a tournament. I blame him for losing us some money!:td: Just kidding. But one thing we know for sure is that it can easily happen by gripping the bow too tight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts