BowFishing Country banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Sounds like you've already replaced the shaft using JB Weld :)cf:), but just wanted to add to the the list as another person who has replaced a shaft using 271 red loctite (motor upside down & loctite on female threads). I also put a small bead of silicone around the last few remaining visible male threads before it was fully tightened (near where shaft goes from threaded to smooth). Going strong 1-2 years later.

Also, like WBG444 said, I cleaned the threads very well. I used a small pick and wire brush and went through all the threads with it, but the correct sized tap would work better/quicker. Same concept -- get all the old glue and fiberglass/plastic/whatever off the old threads.

I thought I found official Minnkota instructions on how to do this when I replaced mine but can't find them now.

Hope yours stays dry!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
What is the thread count on that 1-1/8" tap?
1-1/8"-18rd is the thread pattern, but the Minnkota tap would certainly be a better solution if it has a hole through it for the wires. I may have to get one of those too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Minn Kota uses Red Loc-tite #271 with #7090 primer. It's also what Northland Marine recommends as well, so it's what I've used with no issues so far, and I've done several.

http://www.evin.nl/2005/interne links/minnkota/handleidingen/repair manuals/Lower Unit - Motor Assembly.pdf
I just removed an edge 70 shaft (original) and the sealant was not red loctite. It as very hard and gray, no red. I am waiting on parts from minn kota job seem simple enough the key is obviously getting the new shaft started straight. The lower half of the treads look new the upper half have been cleaned but still don't real good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Red loctite failed twice here, the first one lasted 3 months, the second one lasted 2 weeks. Trolling motors and bowfishing are just not made for each other
There are some plastic materials that do not do well with loctite. If you use it as an adhesive for the trolling shaft, make sure the plastic armature plate is out of the motor until fully cured. The molded plastic armature plates from two Maxxim 55 motors "exploded" from the fumes and I am in the process of having to rebuild two brand new lower units. I have yet to know if using red loctite on the bottom half of the threads and a 3M 5200 urethane marine adhesive on the top half of the threads will work to seal the top of the shaft properly, but that is what I am using.
 
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Top