BowFishing Country banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of adding a deck to my boat. I use a cable foot controled trolling motor. I wondering what everyone uses for a troller? Will the foot control reach and work ok? It looks like a lot of guys use a bow mount hand control. I manly fish inland lakes and not sure how much time I'll spend working this and not being able to shoot. Just thinking ahead for a deck over the winter.
How many guys use electric foot control? Not sure if this will give me enough feedback to run it without looking at it. Cable drive I can do in my sleep

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I had the same dilemma a long time ago when I first built a boat. I had always been used to a foot control from bass fishing and, like you, thought it would free up my hands more to have a foot control. Hand control is much better IMO cause you will get really tired of standing on one foot all night. Also, you just give it a little push in whatever direction you need to go and leave it. The other reason is that anyone on the boat knows how to drive a hand control. You may think that doesn't matter until you're in a big fish and need someone else to take control. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sexy sticks are cool for sure. If you are set on keeping the troller you have then that might be an option. Either way the theme is "use your hands not your feet."

·
Registered
526 Posts
I prefer the hand steer trolling motor. If I were to go with a foot control I would use the a sexy stick. If you don't go with the sexy stick, make sure you recess your foot control into the deck so that you can stand more flat footed. Google search "recessed foot control trolling motor".

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We have a minnkota ipilot with the handheld remote and wired foot pedal, having the pedal is nice just in case the remote goes dead in the middle of a trip (happeed onec) you can just plug it in and make it work, it does suck tho having to use the foot control

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
What I do is bend some 1/2" emt into a U handle, flatten the ends, and mount that to the troller shaft via a clamp made of 2x4. First bore a hole in the 2x4 for the TM shaft, and drill 3 holes across it for bolts. Two bolts to clamp shaft, one for the U. Another hole for the cord. Then rip it lengthwise. Use some innertube rubber to really grab the shaft, and fender washers/rubber under the bolt heads/nuts for the clamp.

Almost all the water I shoot is shallow yet hard to see bottom, and I can't imagine navigating it w/o a hand on the tiller at almost all times. The on/off is a big foot switch on the deck. This setup gets in the way for a quick straight ahead shot, but most all of my shots while driving are to the left side bank since I shoot RH.

This old pic already uploaded here shows an example handle up front.

Vehicle Boat Canidae Sporting Group Waterway

EDIT:
You also ask whether it will reach...that really depends on how tall the deck and how you mount it. For a 2' raised platform on a 1648 with motor mount up on platform, we swapped to a 68" shaft and did not cut it down at all. That length works well for a U tiller like this. A flush deck on a 1448, same setup with a 36" transom mount turned around works fine. It will really depend on your setup and whether you want to make your existing TM work with the boat, or buy a new TM or shaft to build the platform around.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I hang it off my belt loops, around the neck is a NO GO, it it gets caught up in your bow string upon release it ends up at the bottom of the lake.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I use the Ipilot wireless remote. I've got three on the boat so that someone is always in control. I hang mine on my belt loop.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I use the Ipilot wireless remote. I've got three on the boat so that someone is always in control. I hang mine on my belt loop.
Yep, that's the way to go.

When I'm handling my business trying to get the fish in the barrel my buddy can seamlessly take over.

I find it to be much easier than running a foot pedal for new people as well. The remotes are user friendly, some folks don't take to foot pedals very well.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I started with a hand control then went to the original sexy stick, then i upgraded to a remote steer after a few years I wanted my stick steer since it always seemed the other guys running the troller always rammed into things with the remotes so I upgrade to a 112lb troller and went with a pedal and built my own stick steer and love it... my little girls can run my boat again...

as far as if it will reach... that's a loaded question... how long is the shaft and how tall are you going... I run a 62in fortrex off a 25in tall deck sitting on a 33in side tall boat...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well u guys have me thinking. Buddy is selling an 80 I pilot with remote. 3 years old. Wants $995. If I can get it for $900 is that a good deal?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Idk if I would consider that a GOOD deal but its not bad thats about what they go for. Search Craigs List and I'm sure you will be able to find a cheaper one. But on the other hand if its your friends and you know it works and has been treated well you may be better off buying his instead of a "Craigslist Special"

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I personally wouldn't spend 900$ on a used 3 year old unit.

For a few dollars more you could have a new unit

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
depends on what it comes with... I sold mine for 1k but it came with 3 remotes and some new props... in the store they where 1350.00 plus tax..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts