BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you eat them? If so, how do you cook them? I still have yet to find a recipe that I like.

·
Officer Farva
3,174 Posts
I have ate them but aint found a way to cook em that they were any good. I know guys do eat em but im not sure how they are fixin em

·
Officer Farva
3,174 Posts
the cownose arent very good....the southerns are realll good
How did you fix em cause what I ate were southerns, I thought that I got a piece that was next to the azz cause it tast like chit. Im sure that there is a way to fix em, I just dont know how

·
Registered
734 Posts
grill em....fry em...deep fry em.....they are good alot of ways. (of course deep fried is best) You sure what you had was southern and not cownose?? Your one of the first ive heard say they didnt like it.

·
Officer Farva
3,174 Posts
grill em....fry em...deep fry em.....they are good alot of ways. (of course deep fried is best) You sure what you had was southern and not cownose?? Your one of the first ive heard say they didnt like it.
Yah, I have shot both but never tried a cownose. Neither me or my buddy that lives out there liked em. We fried some and boiled some in a crab boil. Didnt care for either one.

·
Registered
734 Posts
gotta take the wing meat and get the "red" out...the "stringy" red vessels in the wing will give it a bit of a nasty taste...im guessing thats the way you had it (with "red" in)

·
Officer Farva
3,174 Posts
gotta take the wing meat and get the "red" out...the "stringy" red vessels in the wing will give it a bit of a nasty taste...im guessing thats the way you had it (with "red" in)
Ok so all the red strips inbetween the white have to be taken out. Thats where we f-ed up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that seems like a WHOLE lot of work. It seemed like the read meat permeated the white meat pretty well throughout. To me, every way I cooked it seemed like really nasty pork. I have tried grilling it with different marindes, cutting into strips and deep frying it, pan frying it in various herbs and spices and couldn't get anything to cover up the nasty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have ate them but aint found a way to cook em that they were any good. I know guys do eat em but im not sure how they are fixin em
+1 I toss the cownose in a big cooler and use em for shark chum sometimes. I just cut slits all in em and hang them on the transome. Southerns are great table fair!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cut out all that red on the wings (do this with any fish) and soak them overnight in milk, bread them and into the deep fryer they should go. Many times in restraurants you will see scallops that are perfectly shaped, well those are most likely Rays. I saw hundreds of Rays the other day out kayak fishing in Tampa Bay and soon as this drizzly weather passes I am going to grab a bow and get in the boat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Duck, I'm heading to C0ckroach Bay (had to spell it that way to get around the filters) tonight, I'll let you know what we see over that way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When you filet a southern, you'll have some nice white meat on top and the darker meat below....kinda resembles a bluefish filet. Cut that part out and toss it. The only thing worth cooking is the white meat on top. You can fry, I bake it with a wine sauce and bread crumb mixture on top.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When you filet a southern, you'll have some nice white meat on top and the darker meat below....kinda resembles a bluefish filet. Cut that part out and toss it. The only thing worth cooking is the white meat on top. You can fry, I bake it with a wine sauce and bread crumb mixture on top.
I fried my first one yesterday for lunch, I wasn't able to taste a difference in the upper and lower meat. I do have to say it was very good and I'll be experimenting with it a lot in the future.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Older thread here but I sure enjoy the ray meat and hate for anyone to miss out. Every one I've cooked it for around here has enjoyed it, usually gone before the catfish.

I've been grilling it. Foil over the grill, butter the foil a bit then butter the meat as it's cooking. Then a liberal coating of Tony Chachere's creole seasoning. I like it plenty well done but that's the way I like everything. I usually deep fry some too but the grill seems to be the way most folks like it. And I like the southerns a bit more as well but the cownose seem fine to me. I am a bit of a stickler for washing the meat. The I'll put the meat in a cooler, cover with water, then enough ice to cover the meat and let it soak until the ice has melted. I've never marinated any of it but may try that next time. Looking forward to my next ray trip so I can stock up again!!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Heres what we have cam up with.

When you boat a cownose, wing it immediately and throw the wings in a cooler with ice. If you hadnt done this then it might be why you dont like cownose. That ammonia smell that is in the fish barrel at the end of the day? (if you shoot many of them you know what i mean) That chemical leaches right out through the meat and skin after the fish dies.

When you get back, fillet the meat off the wing and let em soak in water(never tried milk but will next time) to leach the blood out.

Next cut the fillets into nuggets and put them in a bowl or bag and marinate in Texas Pete hotsauce for about 45min. Then just bread n deep fry.

The Texas Pete takes the fishy flavor out that a lot of folks dont care for. It doesnt make it hot at all.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Heres what we have cam up with.

When you boat a cownose, wing it immediately and throw the wings in a cooler with ice. If you hadnt done this then it might be why you dont like cownose. That ammonia smell that is in the fish barrel at the end of the day? (if you shoot many of them you know what i mean) That chemical leaches right out through the meat and skin after the fish dies.

When you get back, fillet the meat off the wing and let em soak in water(never tried milk but will next time) to leach the blood out.

Next cut the fillets into nuggets and put them in a bowl or bag and marinate in Texas Pete hotsauce for about 45min. Then just bread n deep fry.

The Texas Pete takes the fishy flavor out that a lot of folks dont care for. It doesnt make it hot at all.
still got all the fillets to try, haven't tried any yet, ready to get a couple southerns to try

1 - 20 of 25 Posts