BowFishing Country banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever seen a set up with a remote steer system that has a hydrolic pump with actuator controlled by a joystick or switch rather then a steering wheel? I know this probably seems like an odd question, but I'm looking at building a new custom bowfishing rig this year and want to go with a Prodrive as my kicker. My current set up has a Kicker that has electronic throttle and steering system by powrtran. It works great and I love it but bigger and better is well better right?.... The issue I see is the power of a mud motor and weight is way to heavy for the powrtran and would need some sort of a hydraulic actuator. In theory this doesn't seem that complicated however I'd love to know if anyone has ever done it or seen it.

I don't want a steering wheel or push stick for several reason although I'm sure that would be easier. To clarify also the boat would have a normal outboard 150 plus with a surface drive just as my kicker run separately from the console and other motor.

Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had seen that and was thinking that however you would have to have a way to stop it, I guess I don't know enough yet about actuators to know if they have a releif valve when they hit a certain distance or could be programmed to only go so far. Got a couple tips off MMT so I'm going to look into that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have been fully electronic. Just had to turn it which ever way. And we us the main engine for trolling too. So we just had to walk up to the fishing deck.
As far as hydraulic. It would be fairly easy. Just have to add a motor where the steering wheel would be. And then run the wires for toggle switches of what ever. It won't only take a day to do, but takes a while to learn to drive it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I feel like it could be done hydraulic actuators very easily, but like you shooter I don't know enough about them to try.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Phillip. You over thinking this. Talking about controling speed and valves. The system your thinking of needs a hydraulic pump that had the run 100% of the time. Like an automotive power steering pump or tractor.

It's simple. Find an electric motor that either had its own gear box or you build a braker and chain or belt drive it to this. And if worst come to worst. You can just take the motor off add a wheel and drive your self home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...t+steering&dpPl=1&dpID=51EtYvzedRL&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
He doesn't want a wheel, and the thing you posted on amazon is a double acting hydraulic piston, its the same thing im talking about but building your own how it is needed.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Also can have it set up to where you use two of the double acting pistons and one for the front of the boat attached to a steering stick so when you push the stick forward it pushes the other piston connected to the motor out or in, no pump needed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I understand. Let me know when y'all find an electric hydraulic pump that will not kill you batteries or that didn't have to be run from the genny. Or one that can be turned vertically and run off the outboar fly wheel. Alone with that. Find one that doesn't run hot. Nothing better than "burn your a$$" hoses running around the boat.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just saw your port right above my last one. I've thought about the dual cylinders. But you have to think about presures. If you outboard puts 300lbs of force on the cylinder. It's also going to put 300lbs in the other cylinder as well.. now. You can do a hydraulic rear reductions type of thing. By using a skinny cylinder on the motor and a fat one on the control. But regardless. It's takes my full body weight to put the oil out of an open trim cylinder for a mercruiser. I don't think the concept will work for streeing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hydraulic steering helm just like your big motor then instead of a wheel mout a gear and have a actuator and gear rack turn the pump run from a joystick or whatever control you want on your deck. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Thoughts but I'm really leaning away from Hydraulics after more research and toward electric actuators. They come in all powers up to 2200lbs of force with different throws and have stopping points. Phillip is right I don't want anything like a steering wheel to bulky and to much effort all night long. I also want simple, clean and sexy, which means I'm not half assing something that's not reliable, not bashing anyone just the way I do things. I think a simple Electric actuator with the right throw and then a two buttom controller with a joystick mounted over the top similar to my set up now is the way to go. The issue I'm still running struggling with is finding the combination of powerful vs. fast enough, that combination is the key. Powrtrans Python is 1.8 seconds lock to lock, but they don't tell how much actual power it has: lbs of force. I'll probably just call them and ask, I can't imagine its much since its a 5amp draw. That said most of what I have seen is about an 8 second lock to lock on the actuators I've looked at, that's to slow in my opinion knowing how my current boat handles and how much I move the kicker back and forth when I'm cruising to keep the boat going where I want.

Question: how many pound of force do you think it would take to push a Prodrive back and forth, when running weedy cover. I'm not talking Stuck in the mud, just thick vegetation with a little bottom drag, my gut says If If I'm a 200lb guy leaning on the motor back and forth maybe I'm exerting 300-400lbs of force? but I'm not a physics major by any means.

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yea you about right. Its going to take a 300lb+ to turn an outboard running. You will need more power if you when your on plane. I don't think y'all still understand what I'm talking about with the steering. The hydraulic system is design to hold on an outboard. So no half assing to it. then you attach an electric motor. Then hide it under the deck somewhere. No stop switches are needed because after a while you just know where the motor is. Driving it is the biggest thing. It's not like a car or even a normal boat. As in. When you let off the wheel it just centers itself, OR you only mean the stick 1/4 of the way to the left and the motor turns and stops. No. When you move the stick it full on which ever way. And when you recenter it. The motor stays where you put it. And the motor stopping a 20degrees of left at 30mph will throw your ass out the boat There is only one electric actuator out there that will for that. But even then. They are to slow and not strong enough for a big outboard.

I've don't this before with an 80hp. I didn't use an actuator or hydraulic. And we were on the edge every trip and I had to relearn how to drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run an electric actuator on my fan. It works fairly well but i still think a hydralic helm hid under the back deck with a smaller electric actuator would be the ticket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts