BowFishing Country banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have a setup like this, or am I just crazy. When I ordered my converters from Powermax, I was told that they had a bowfishing model (more just a power supply, rather than a charger), and that I could run my troller and lights off of these units with NO batteries. The 2 great pluses of this setup are that I did not spend several hundred dollars on batteries, and that I do not have the 100+ pounds of weight of the 2 batteries in my boat. The only main negative I can think of to this setup is that if my genny goes down I have no trolling motor.

What are y'alls thoughts?

Bisch

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I can always add batteries later if I decide I don't like it this way for some reason. Everything is 24v, so I would have to have 2 batteries. I don't understand the buffer comment??? What is the difference between 24v from batteries, or 24v from a power supply??? The bowfishing model converters do not have the 3 stage charging. Each converter always puts out 13.4v, which is the same as a fully charged battery.

Bisch

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think you'll get several varying views on this but this is what I've learned about convertors. The batteries act as a buffer between the power supply and your troller which is supposed to protect the troller is for some reason there is a spike in power. Also, the only difference in the bowfishing model vs the regular pm3 is the initial boost mode which supplies 14.6v at start up. That 14.6 boost can exceed the Trolling motors max draw which some guys say that can fry the TM. I run PM3-75s on my boat which are not the bowfishing model but I did remove the boost mode from both of mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then why would the guys at powermax tell me that it should work just fine? I was buying converters either way, so why would they intentionally try to sell me stuff that will not work???

Bisch

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You need the batteries to act as a buffer between the genny and the converters... Your trolling motor has sensitive electronics in there that can be zapped by the unclean power the genny and converters put out..

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
You need the batteries to act as a buffer between the genny and the converters... Your trolling motor has sensitive electronics in there that can be zapped by the unclean power the genny and converters put out..
...exactly...Powermax wont stand behind your troller burning up I am sure

·
Registered
2 Posts
Revive this one. I’m sure more guys are running a converter only setup. I run two PM4-100’s to run a constant 26.8v to the troller. Unfortunately, recently I burned up motor on my RIP/80. Minnkota warrantied the repair, but the service guy advised that my setup may cause it again and they may not warranty another motor.
Just trying to figure out how the converters can be any different from a battery bank, or if the real issue is that the trolling motors can’t handle us running them WFO though weeds and mud banging into sticks and slow fish. Please comment! Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't have the answer you are looking for however I will tell you that when I had (3) deep cycles and an IOTA 36v converter that did not put out enough amps (I think it put out 35 max) for my trolling motor (I think it pulls up to 55 according to Minn Kota) I was burning up boards relatively often, about every 30 hours if I had to guess. Even though Minn Kota and Iota said it should not be a factor.

I switched to (3) PM 55's and I don't remember if I even burned up a board the first year. Took me a while to realize but I had one of my batteries go bad and I was burning up boards about every 20 hours. Replaced batteries and things are pretty good again. I would guess I get at least 100 hours on a board again. I am also older so I don't get as carried away in the weeds and mud as I used to so thats a factor. Still spend at least an hour straight WFO regularly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a response from the guys at Minnkota too. It just doesn’t seem right that they don’t want the troller to have a constant power supply. I guess I will add a big battery and run it dead, then charge after the night of carnage.

My questions to MinnKota:
What are the recommendations for running your trolling motors on generators and DC converters at constant output without batteries? What are the recommendations of charging battery banks while trolling motors are in use?
MinnKota Response:
We recommend against running the motor in either manner. The high sustained voltage to the lower unit will likely lead to premature failure of lower unit parts.

Thank you for contacting Minn Kota,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts