BowFishing Country banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just perusing the forum and I keep reading here and there that sliders like the AMS slide is not recommended for spinner reels. Why is that? how else would you tie onto an arrow and safely release it without the risk of your line binding up?

I use spinners, retrievers, and manual wound spools on a variety of gear, just depends who is shooting what and where. All my arrows use the AMS safety slide. Just wondering about this whole "slides not recommended with spinners deal"

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
i use a spinner and tie to the back. just make sure your not using line made for retreivers

·
Registered
347 Posts
What can happen, especially without a shoot thru rod, if you forget to push the button with a spinner and slide is that the arrow will draw back but when its released the force going forward can break the reel since it isn't free spooling. If you forget to push the button and tie to the back the arrow will fall off when you go to draw

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhhh ok, thanks. Makes sense. Just wanted to makes sure I wasnt missing anything. I thought it might have been an issue of the slide causing the spinner to engage when releases, like the whack of the slide to the base of the arrow stop jarred it or something. Looks like it'd be a PITA if you let up often off the draw. You'd have to re-tighten you line every time you drew if you didnt shoot.

I just have a tad of slack line from the slide to the reel im using, and if theres a question of whether I pushed the button, I reach up and thumb out a little line to ensure its free spooling.

Or is it as simple as it just being a personal preference on how your gear is set up?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I shoot my spinner with slides. I prefer em because they seem to help keep from complete pass throughs on fish and I like the idea my line is out in front of me instead of behind my rest when knocked. Some people like white bread and some like wheat

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
if i draw 95 percent of the time i let er fly. you get lucky once in awhile shooting at wakes:pray:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I use slides and spinners. Never had a problem. Only thing is, I broke all my spinners and a using bottles for the time being. Going to have to order some parts this winter. I like the retrieval time of the spinners too much to stick with bottles.

·
Registered
984 Posts
:cf: wonder if thats related

1 - 13 of 13 Posts