BowFishing Country banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got me a tank for my 1st time ever having salt water fishies. just went last night and picked up some starfish,crabs and snails. will be getting some fish this weekend. its a 60 gallon tank.
anyone else have any cool tanks? i would post pics if i knew how:headbang:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Might wanna give it some time after adding the inteverbrates before adding the fish. The nitrates and ammonia will spike within a few days till the natural bacteria catches up. Adding fish during the spike usually doesn't end well unless they are super hardy fish.

I had a lot of cool freshwater fish, some beautiful south American cichlids. Big midas, blood parrot, breeding pair of jaguars, convicts, firemouths, mayanswer, etc plus a bunch of oddball fish over the years. Always enjoyed them. I did convert one 55gal tank over to saltwater, had everything ready, ordered two dwarf lion fish online, one was dead on arrival and other lasted a few hours. Got credit for them and was gonna try again to get some healthy fish but never did, forget what happened but went back to freshwater after looking at the empty tank for a few months.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I always enjoy that show where they make custom fish tanks ..... Im amazed that what they do holds water sometimes

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had mine running for a few months, its a 110 gallon. Here are a few frags I've got from world wide corals and joe knows reefs. If you haven't yet you should check out reef2reef. lots of good information about starting up over there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I like to visit the salt water tank at Red Lobster. Seriously though, I've always heard they are very labor intensive keeping salinity and PH correct. Any truth to that?

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive only had a week and it was a tank a guy had set up for years. so far not to many issues i can see. i used most of his old water and put about 20 gallons of new in. just mix salt and water to correct salinity levels and added . i have a decent filter and skimmer and lots of live rock in tank. i guess i will see how it goes. worse case scenerio i will drain it all and make a fresh water tank:shocked:

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice, i havent got my lighting i need for corals yet. but i may just wait for my 150 gallon tank and set that up with the proper lighting
I've had mine running for a few months, its a 110 gallon. Here are a few frags I've got from world wide corals and joe knows reefs. If you haven't yet you should check out reef2reef. lots of good information about starting up over there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like to visit the salt water tank at Red Lobster. Seriously though, I've always heard they are very labor intensive keeping salinity and PH correct. Any truth to that?
To do them correctly and have everything grow and be healthy yes it can be a lot of work. Lots of moving/carrying water around in 5 gallon buckets and pumping from one tank to another and lots testing.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
From what I understand Lion fish are very predatory so you may end up with a lot less fish in a tank. They're very nice looking fish but they're a problem fish in the wild.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts