BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went hook up my “used” Seastar Hydraulic Steering tonight and started the bleeding process. Hoses were hooked port to starboard and starboard to port. Starting adding fluid to the helm and started the bleeding process. The motor would turn right fine so we started bleeding going back to the left but the cylinder will not turn left at all. We had fluid coming out of the bleed valve and shut it off but motor still would not turn. If I cracked both of the bleed valves the motor would turn left but one either one of the valves were shut it wouldn’t turn anymore. I’m sure I may still have air in the line somewhere, or I have been reading that a ball in one of the valves could be stuck not letting fluid go through. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Try cracking the lines on the cylinder loose, and turn the engine by hand. I use these steering helms on pulling tractor chassis's, sometimes they are a PIA to bleed. Another thing that helps is keeping the fill tube on the helm full of oil.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try cracking the lines on the cylinder loose, and turn the engine by hand. I use these steering helms on pulling tractor chassis's, sometimes they are a PIA to bleed. Another thing that helps is keeping the fill tube on the helm full of oil.
Should that remove the airlock? Is it possible to airlock just the cylinder?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok update on the situation, I can get the motor to turn the other way now, but the bleeder has to be open and the steering wheel still keeps free spinning, if you close it the motor stops turning. I bled the system all the way and no more air would come out of either side. I’m thinking that spool valve is stuck to one side.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update again: I was working on the boat last night and looked over at the steering wheel and thought to myself maybe if I jerk the steering wheel hard to the side it wont turn it might start working. Sure enough I grabbed the steering wheel and bumped it really hard to the side it wouldn't turn and you could hear something break loose. Im assuming it was the spool valve that was stuck to one side. I still think it needs attention because I can hear the valve moving left and right when I turn the wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had such problems with my tractor. The steering wheel started to be so hard to move, and it was because of a problem in the hydraulic system. It was an old tractor, so I decided that I would better buy a new one, rather than repair it. I bought a Zetor Tractor. It is a good medium-sized tractor that deals with any job that can appear on the farm. I like that it is pretty powerful and it can work without any problem with all the attachments I was using with my old tractor. Most of all I like that it has a cabin for the driver, that saves from sunlights

1 - 11 of 11 Posts