BowFishing Country banner

Selecting the best lights for a New Setup

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  *Courtney* 
#1 ·
I have a boat already setup I have 6-500 watt halogen lights on the boat and I am pleased with the way everything works. I am running all these lights off of a 5000 watt generator. I have a buddy that is setting up a boat and we were looking at what is the best kind of lights to put on the boat? He has bought a 3500 watt generator. Whether it is a halogen, high pressure sodium bulb, or what? We primary shoot in low visibility water.

#4 ·
Yeap jp can hook u up w/ great fixtures just get u some hps if ur shootin low vis water nothin cut through muddy water like a hps got 6 400's fixtures on the way had 4 and believe me 4 was plenty but my dad told me go big or go home so I'm goin w/ 6 400w hps this year got somethin up my selleve for next year that I'm workin on now

#5 ·
Well I look at it like this...we fished for many years behind 500watt and 350w halogens and they are rated at 10,500 lumens. 250 watt MH at rated around 21,000 lumens and 250 watt HPS are around 26,000 lumens. What this means is that you can easily run 6-250watt MH or HPS with that 3500 genny and it will be plenty bright. I know 250 MH are VERY bright and they are cheaper than 400 HPS or MH.

#6 ·
It all comes down to a personal preference like u said... but how well does a mh cut the low vis water then look at how a hps does in low vis water... I started out with like other people then shot off halos and it was a no brainer fer me when I shot off a hps setup... u buy what u can afford and what works best for u and the water u shoot here its hps further north I would assume mh clear water..... jmo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.