BowFishing Country banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all. I’m no electrician by any means but I have the basic knowledge. Looking for advice as this is my first set up actually running a generator and not 12v set up. I keep hearing people saying grounding the lights to the boat.. here is what I’m going to do just looking to see if this is correct…

I will be bolting the lights directly to the hull of the boat. I will be running 3 80 watt led lights together with 3 way junction boxes. Then to a stripped end of a 14g extension cord plugging the cord into a gfci then into the generator which will be sitting directly on the hull on the back of the boat. (Aluminum boat). I will do the same set up on the other side of the boat. Does this seem safe/acceptable just looking for advice. Thank you and all info is help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe you should never ground any type of current to your boat. If your boat is aluminum this will start the process of electrolysis because you have current that has no where to go but into your boat and it will start to eat the aluminum eventually. Some people do this with steel and it eats rust and helps remove it but aluminum is different. If you are running AC lights there should already be a pre-existing ground wire and this gets plugged into your 3-way junction box. From there the junction box should run back to the genny and plug in with a ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts