BowFishing Country banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably isn't the right category to put this, but I didn't see the rules/regulations heading like we had on the old site. Anyway, the questions came up and I finally got around to calling the DGIF and asking if it was legal or not. Of course I had to leave a message. As soon as I hear back from them, I will post up their response. As of now, the way the regulations read, we can only shoot COMMON carp, longnose gar and snakeheads. I just wanted some clarification in case I am reading it wrong.

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I never got a call back, but I ran into a Game Warden last night so I asked him. He said as of right now, you can only shoot carp, gar and snakeheads in Virginia. He said that catfish are not considered game fish, but cannot be shot at this time. He did mention that they are considering revising this in the future. Sure would be nice!

· Registered
7,722 Posts
Cant wait till TEXAS changes it back to where we can shoot CATFISH AGAIN!!!!!!!

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE. I finally got a call back from the DGIF, only took them 3 weeks to respond. After talking with the man for a few minutes and hearing his concerns about species identification and shooting the wrong types of fish while mistaking them for catfish, I explained to him how there were multiple times last year that fish could easily be identified prior to shooting. Although, his argument didn't hold too much water for me, because we have to do the same thing on FLYING DUCKS to avoid going over the limit on a particular species or hens or whatnot. IF we are expected to do that with ducks on the wing, no way we couldn't do it with fish in the water. Anyway, he was very supportive of having the regulations changed to include catfish and gave me the phone number of my regional catfish guru to discuss it with. I called and left him a message. Hopefully we can discuss this and he will be willing to propose this change for the next regulation revision cycle (2012-2013). The man also said I could propose the change myself, but I really feel like it would pull more weight if one of their own was to propose it. Hopefully it won't take this guy as long to get back to me and I will have some good news to share.

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems as thought I just missed the regulation changes deadline. They are on a 2 year cycle, so I have to wait until 2012 to propose changes that will take place in the 2013 regulations. The good news is that my local catfish guru is firmly in favor of allowing catfish to be taken while bowfishing. So, I have to wait a while for this to work out, but I fully intend to follow through with it and get the regulations changed to include more species of fish. I plan to spend some time researching other species that might be included in my proposal. Bowfin is first on the list behind catfish. Never seen any while fishing, but seems reasonable to have as an option.

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

I just got back from the Board of Directors meeting where I made my proposal to add catfish and bowfin to the list of species legal for bowfishing in Virginia. My suggestion was well received and they are incorporating my request into the 'staff recommendation' portion of the proposed regulation changes for 2013. I spoke with several of the members individually and they were all in favor of this idea. One concern they expressed was the popularity of catfishing and the catfish anglers would likely be opposed to this. We will have to wait and see how it goes. I was basically assured that bowfin would be added without issue, but that the catfish might become a problem if too many catfisherman raise a stink during the 'public comment' portion of the review cycle. After sitting through a 3+ hour meeting with a bunch of guys in suits, it was quite apparent to me that I was out of my league at this meeting, but all is well that ends well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.