BowFishing Country banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed up the night of the 3rd and relied on two shallow water stake out poles to moor my boat rather than adding a mooring line to a deadman on the beach at Horn Island. I awoke at 2:30 to go flounder gigging and found my boat missing. It was spotted by the Jackson County Sheriff's Water Patrol piled up on the rock jetty at Singing River Island 11 miles away around noon on the 4th.

The authorities got us off the island on the 4th and provided me a look at the boat on the way in since it ended up only half a mile away from the Pascagoula Point Fishing Pier launch where we put in. Early on the 5th I was calling around to get the best price on retrieving my boat when a number I didn't recognize beeped in twice on one of my phone calls.

I know a lot of you guys know or know of Robert Thomas of Long Beach Aluminum Boats. He had told me when I picked up my boat that if I ever had boat trouble down his way that I should call him and he'd come get me. I had forgotten that promise. Robert Thomas had not! After seeing Facebook posts showing the boat on the rocks, he recognized it and immediately put in a call for his guys to ready his crew boat. He dug up my number to let me know he was on his way to get my boat. "Don't pay anyone to get that boat. I'll help you for free!" He stopped everything to help me without being asked!

The boat was at a 30° angle and approximately 50% swamped. We used the unsubmerged starting battery to operate one of the bilge pumps and the washdown pump while using a hand pump and bucket to bail as well. We were able to lighten the boat enough that it began to lift with waves so we slid it off into the water. The boat was towed to the launch and trailered where we found, other than some chewed up corrugations, there were only two dents, the worse of which was on the port sponson.

That's a Long Beach Custom for you!

Anyway, I just want to publicly thank Robert Thomas for the great customer service and for being a great friend to me when I was in need. He earns his reputation as a boat builder by the quality of the boats he fabricates but folks need to know they are receiving much more than that when they go with a Long Beach!

13576886_10157141661960615_3075809736673881895_o.jpg

·
Registered
968 Posts
This post just made me decide where my next boat will come from. You just can ask for better than that!

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Great customer service and guess could have been much worse considering , but the big ???? Is how'd your ice hold up with dry ice, burying the cooler etc..... Over long weekend

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Wow, 11 miles before going aground. Could have had anything happen and gone to the bottom and never found her and thought she was stolen. And, great customer service story and positive selling point for Long Beach custom boats.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great customer service and guess could have been much worse considering , but the big ???? Is how'd your ice hold up with dry ice, burying the cooler etc..... Over long weekend
As of last night when I emptied the coolers, the items on top of the dry ice were still frozen and I had very little water in the cooler. That was six days from when I had filled them but they spent the last two days not shaded from the sun so I'm reasonably happy with the performance of them. They would have kept ice the entire time. My Igloo Sportsman kept just straight ice through the 5th with us opening it often to retrieve ice for our tumblers. I believe my thermal cooler covers and being kept in the shade of the mess tent were big factors but the biggest was flat out not opening them often. We opened the big ones three times a day. We knew what we wanted from them and where it was before we opened them.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Glad it all turned out ok for you and that is a stand up company right there.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
What kind of a tool has a conversation with Robert and buys a factory Excel hull instead? It was me. Ok! I admit it. I'm an idiot!!! I wish I could go back in time and own a long beach!!!!
I have NEVER heard anything bad about his outfit. Class act right there.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Ah, that was your boat. I saw the FB traffic when it happened. I recognized the boat or thought I did but couldn't remember where I saw the pics. Makes sense now. Glad all worked out. No doubt they build a solid boat down there.

My dealings with Robert were nothing but great as well. I have ZERO complaints about my boat.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What happens to a fuse hub when submerged in saltwater while connected to a battery for 24 hours. When I opened the cover, the compartment was filled with what resembled orange fungi. I believe it was melted copper cooled back to a solid within the water that had entered it. The battery cable ends didn't fare any better. Guess what I'll be doing later in the day and tomorrow morning.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts