BowFishing Country banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through my gear today and got me thinking. As your getting your bowfishing gear together for the upcoming season don't forget to change the lock washers out on your Shure Shot points. Over time the lock washers loose tension and don't hold quite as well. Also if you didn't know sometime last year the washers were updated so they hold the point better preventing "spin offs". Since I switched I never had one come loose 'cause of a fish. They're really cheap to replace and will help quite a bit. Don't be cheap, toss the old ones, and put a new on on. I think it cost a whopping 13¢ a point.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I also recommend putting some string wax on the threads of the point while you've got it off if you're changing the washer. It'll keep it from working loose.
I also do this on all of my points with replaceable tips like the Jackhammers on the SureShot Penetrators and Cajun Piranhas. When I am going to be shooting soft bottoms and not dulling down points as often, I often even trace the threads under the replacement point with a little dental floss even.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a good tip too. I've heard about the wax on the threads, but keep forgetting to try it. They don't loosen up if I leave them on for awhile, but I usually take them off after shooting. After a few trips I resharpen the dull ones. I also like to pick out a tip depending on where I'm shooting. Little fish and rocks get the tips that have been resharpened a few times, big fish or soft bottoms get the newer tips.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah the new washer sure make a difference, good info!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
do you guys bend the bards in-ward any?
I do not. The Piranhas can be bent in because they hold by moving out of the plane of the arrow upon retrieval. The ShureShot barbs remain in the same plane as the arrow, so you really want them to flex inwardly on impact, but open widely after penetration. On soft fish, the Piranha Long Barbs perform better than the Shure Shots (IMO), but one is hard pressed to beat the clean handed quickness of the ShureShot when the action is feverish!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bend my penetrator barbs in..........I also tune my barbs to swing about 30 degrees. The ability to tune these barbs is their best feature.........you can make them swing like a muzzy or stay hard in the factory locked down spot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
done that also. gotta grind a little off the end of the adaptor where it contacts the barb. I learned the hard way, go slow, a little at a time and keep it straight. a fine line between not enough and to much. belt sander works better than grinder. if you do grind to much off the adaptor and barb swings over to much, grind a little off the base end of the point so it screws down a little farther on the adaptor. again, grind only a little and keep it straight. My opinion though, shoot em like they come. works great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
man I got a short attention span. only 11 posts and I forgot why I started reading this thread. the lock washers.... sounds like good advice. I'll be doin that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My opinion though, shoot em like they come. works great.
I agree, shoot them as the come. I've messed with them plenty and prefer as they come. I don't like when the barbs twist as its not as quick/easy to release the tip defeating the whole purpose of Shure Shots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts