BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here within the last few weeks me and some of my other Bowfishing buddies have noticed many dead silvers floating and along the banks of the lake we normally fish. By many I mean hundreds to thousands. We have shot some that were acting weird by swimming crooked or almost dead as well. Some have had red bumps on them and some haven't. Any ideas what this could be? It's only silvers also haven't noticed any other fish floating or on the banks.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Some virus killed off hundreds of thousands of silvers at one of the dams a year or two ago. Only the silvers were affected so maybe it's something simular

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Whatever it is, I hope some of your sick silvers had casual sex with our local population! They need to die! We haven't caught a 50lb cat in 5 years.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I saw an article a few months ago about a form of herpes they were gonna try and use to get rid of the silvers, someone posted it in a thread on here I think!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Tbrew I saw the same thing late in the year last year on a lake in north ms as well. Guy told me it had something to do with the water temp. I don't think he was right but that's the only thing I have heard. Some of these had red bumps all over them as well

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is in the Tunica Cutoff, the water has been very warm. Not sure the temp. but warmer feeling than I ever remember. Ill try and take a few pictures tomorrow night.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks Mud for notifying me of this thread. This is not Koi Herpes virus, because that only effects common carp and koi, and no other fish species. Regarding the deaths below the dam, there isn't any good evidence that was a virus that caused it. My personal opinion is that nitrogen supersaturation below the dam may have played a part, or that a concentration of fish was sucked through the dam, or both. Silver carp do suffer mass death events, though, because there are so many of them together that they tend to get sick, just like masses of soldiers do if they don't take good cleanliness care, or a bunch of kids in a daycare. In animals, this is called an epizootic (like an epidemic, but animals). We haven't seen any particular pathogen yet that causes only silver carp death, although very often when silver carp suffer a major or minor epizootic it is almost all silver carp, in part because most of the fish are silver carp, and also because the silver carp school together and spread it amongst themselves. And not every fish species will be susceptible to whatever is killing the silver carp.

However, I guess there is always hope. If a fish biologist is going to do something useful from a fish in one of these fish kills, he or she will need a very very freshly dead fish, or even better one that is still alive but looking pretty bad when it is taken from the water.

It's possible but unlikely that I could identify the pathogen from just a picture. Most likely even a fish pathologist (and I am not one, but I've been around fish for my whole life, including fish farming, so I've seen and diagnosed fish disease before) would not be able to determine the pathogen without a very fresh fish. In the future, in these major outbreaks of only silver carp, if you can get a sick fish or two (preferably not shot but we'll take what we can get) and contact me right away, I'll see what I can do to get the fish to a DOI fish pathogen lab and get it tested. If there are other fish at all dead (and sometimes people only notice the silvers, because that's what's mostly there) probably not worth it. Also, take pictures while the fish is alive or very fresh, and include closeup pictures of any lesions or red spots, and also open or cut off an operculum (the flap that covers the gills) and take a good closeup picture of the gills while the fish is very fresh. Might also open the gut of a dying or very freshly dead fish and take a good closeup picture of that. But don't cut on any fish that you are actually going to send. In such a situation, I can give you a fedex number and pay for the overnight shipping. But I probably wouldn't have any way to get a shipping box or blue ice to you in time or to purchase one. For a fish that is to be sent, DO NOT FREEZE IT. Keep it on ice or in the refrigerator and ship with bags or bottles of ice or blue ice, preferably in a small cooler or Styrofoam box in a cardboard box. If you call me (I'll give mudfish and Mike Bommer my cell number so you could get it from them) and it seems worthwhile to take and ship some fish, I'll give you a fed ex number and if you use one of your own coolers I'll send it back or replace it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are going tomorrow night, I'll see if I can come across a fresh one. We have shot several that were alive one that's eyes were bulging and its skin was loose like its insides were shrinking but it was swimming. Not guaranteeing I can get one that's alive without shooting it but I can bring a cast net to try. Several of the guys that bowfish here have paid a lot of attention to it and we have all only noticed dead silvers. Thanks for all the interest, although I'm not necessarily upset with the silvers dying the last few weeks have been the slowest bowfishing we've had all summer. Don't know if it is related or not but definitely has made us wonder about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
By the way, where did this take place? The recent die-off below silver lake has been determined to be a dissolved oxygen sag due to the high temperatures.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts