BowFishing Country banner

Spotting Scope Recommendation

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  GaryBriggs 
#1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations based on experience. Looking for a spotting scope\tripod combination that's compact enough to fit into my day pack and lite enough to carry around all day.

This would be used for California Blacktail and possible Wyoming Mule Deer.

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
I just love using the opticsplanet filter. I did a $300-600 search of spotting scopes that were rated 4 stars or better and that left me with 35, only 1 of them was a "top pick". looks like a heck of a scope if you don't mind its size and like a "straight" glass. it does come with a nice gold ring and a lifetime warranty http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-20-60x80mm-straight-sx-1-ventana-spotting-scope.html

do you want a small packing scope or do you want the best you can get? are you ok with a straight glass or do you prefer angled for more comfort? I know I would be absolutely terrible on a scope but all the stuff ive read says get something with good eye relief and a angled glass on a tripod for comfort. the guy who can keep his eye to the glass the longest and has the most patience usually finds the most animals.

#5 ·
Vortex would be my vote but I haven't personally checked out there line of spotting scopes. Far more impressed with there products than I have been with Nikon for the money. And there warranty is top notch with no questions asked from what I've heard.

#7 · (Edited)
I don't have a price range, I'll spend what's necessary Rambo, however I'm looking for something fairly compact. I prefer the angled, the topography of our mountains dictates I may be glassing up the hill and that angle may pay dividends.

I just purchased a Vortex Viper for my new .270, I really like Vortex stuff and that iron clad warranty is hard to beat. I don't want my own bias opinon keeping me from looking at other companies products.

#8 ·
I use a Nikon monarch. Nice glass! Not to bad on price. But I know the vortex is getting big fast. My next will be nightforce. Expensive!!!! But after using nightforce scopes it's hard to look back.

#13 ·
X2 with biggest objective within reason,the rule I've always heard is you need at least 5mm pupil diameter for max lowlight transmission,most the avg eyes dialate max open is 5mm. So 100mm objective at 20x you should still get max light thru scope to eye as to what your eye will let thru. If 20x and 50mm objective will be 2.5 mm and will loose optics and still be able to see with naked eye...

#14 ·
I'm getting mixed messages from buddies who have different views on the subject.

One recommends something like this....
http://www.amazon.com/MINOX-16-30x-Waterproof-Spotting-Scope/dp/B000YY09FI
Based on the terrain I'm planning to hunt, he says unless I'm in the Rockies or Alaska theirs no need for a monster 80x or even a 60x.

Another is telling me go for broke, get something like a top of the line Vortex or leupold.

I may just spilt the difference and get something like a Vortex Diamondback.

#15 ·
That 16x30 with 50mm objective will be good mid day but suck for early and late low lite conditions,even at 16x leaves 3mm of lite to pass thru objective,a 20x60 with 100 mm objective will have good low lite capability on 20x but have magnification to count points on a deer at distance on 60x.

#17 ·
#20 ·
For Sale Burris 25-75x70mm XTS-2575 spotting scope. Used only a couple times, so basically new in the box. No tripod.
Clear and crisp compact at 10" long weighing 33 oz.

Comes with forever warranty.

Retails right at $400 will sell for $300 including shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.