BowFishing Country banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some places I drop in are tough to get my boat off the bunkers, so Im contemplating on switching it to rollers. Is it a fairly easy project or is it easier to just get a different trailer? It seems relatively simple, but I ask because some simple things turn into disasters :headbang:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
if I could have my wish would like to see rollers and bunks combo. when ready to let boat off trailer have a serious lever that would lift the rollers up just enough to let boat clear bunks and leave them raised until boat was loaded then lower them so boat was on bunks sure would nice probably lot of work to build.

·
Registered
462 Posts
if I could have my wish would like to see rollers and bunks combo. when ready to let boat off trailer have a serious lever that would lift the rollers up just enough to let boat clear bunks and leave them raised until boat was loaded then lower them so boat was on bunks sure would nice probably lot of work to build.
That's a good idea! I've wondered about having the rear-most rollers with a one-way clutch mechanism so they only roll forward. They'll be deepest underwater and once the rear floats, the boat can roll off.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think it was Shorelander that made a trailer just like that. It had a big handle at the tongue that you pulled and it lifted all the rollers about a inch or two, enough to raise the boat off the bunks so it would roll off the trailer.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I think it was Shorelander that made a trailer just like that. It had a big handle at the tongue that you pulled and it lifted all the rollers about a inch or two, enough to raise the boat off the bunks so it would roll off the trailer.
Really didn,t know they had that but would be nice when you can,t get the trailer in deep enough to float the boat off the trailer but don,t think it would be a good idea to let rollers tote the load ruin the roller and the boat heavy as bow fishing boats are!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem, I had my F250 bumper deep in the back waters of the Mississippi River to launch a 18' x 60" custom aluminum boat, with a 90 hp motor. The first time I couldn't shake the boat off. I pulled it out, tied it to a tree and pulled the boat back 4 feet and was able to launch it. The second time I went with my come along and winched it off. For the third time, I change the runners to plastic cover, sprayed them with easy off, changed the winch to a 2500 pound, 2 speed winch on the front. I took the original winch with cable, mounted it below the original winch, then mounted a pulley near the back of the trailer. Now I can just winch if on or off anywhere.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Of all the hair brained chit you've come up with, this is the winner. That right there is one of the best ideas I've heard in a while. I'd buy one.

·
Registered
877 Posts
My father had a boat when I was a kid, the rollers were mounted solid and the runners were on a offset cam you used your foot on a lever to raise the cam or lower the cam. In turn the bunks would lower or raise worked good and was a simple design

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My father had a boat when I was a kid, the rollers were mounted solid and the runners were on a offset cam you used your foot on a lever to raise the cam or lower the cam. In turn the bunks would lower or raise worked good and was a simple design
Raising the bunks might be easier than raising the rollers bunks tote the boat then lower to the rollers to unload and load Yep i like that!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends how nice your trailer is to begin with, may just be cheaper to buy one off of Craigslist and sell yours
I bought it new with the boat in 2012. Its nothing fancy, but wasn't super cheap. Figured if I traded it for a roller trailer that I'd come out behind but I'm getting sick of the bunks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just be careful with rollers. My deep V almost got ejected onto concrete. It was the first time Id launched a roller boat in a long time. Disconnected the winch strap at the top of the ramp like I usually do with bunk trailers. Buddy starts backing down and ever so slightly touches the brakes right as the back tires hit the water. Luckily that ramp was hella deep or I would have broke all kinds of crap.

Moral of the story, is if you don't like fishing in pooped britches don't unhook your winch strap on a roller trailer.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I would also really think hard about rollers, how thick is the alum on your boat ? how good do you strap down your boat ? how heavy is your boat with a load ? reason I bring this up is rollers put a single stress point on the bottom of your hull on each roller and can cause hooks in a alum boat... rollers are for glass boats... I have seen some really nice roller trailers built for some really nice Jet boats and then a few years down the road those really nice jet boats start getting cracks... IMHO its a bad idea bunks distribute the stress points... have you tried bunk slicks or UMHV strips ? I put sections of cutting boards on my bunks and it was the magic ticket for me...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bunk slicks work well for this, as does silicone spraying your bunk carpet once in awhile. Just as stated, don't unhook the bow strap until boat is halfway in the water.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would also really think hard about rollers, how thick is the alum on your boat ? how good do you strap down your boat ? how heavy is your boat with a load ? reason I bring this up is rollers put a single stress point on the bottom of your hull on each roller and can cause hooks in a alum boat... rollers are for glass boats... I have seen some really nice roller trailers built for some really nice Jet boats and then a few years down the road those really nice jet boats start getting cracks... IMHO its a bad idea bunks distribute the stress points... have you tried bunk slicks or UMHV strips ? I put sections of cutting boards on my bunks and it was the magic ticket for me...
I did this exact thing. Put strips of UHMW cutting board on my bunks. All I can say is holy chit! I knew it would be slick but not like greased Teflon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My buddy has factory made trailer that has bunks on the front 2/3 and rollers in the back and the trailer tilts. Don't know what brand but it's nice for his 1860.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts