BowFishing Country banner

Which river chain and lakes is your favorite??

• Cumberland River and it's lakes...?

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Tennessee River and it's lakes...?

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Never have Bowfished either of them...

Votes: 4 19.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which river system and it's chain of lakes is the best all-around for bowfishing...... Cumberland River or Tennessee River?

I know both are good, but which is best for the most species (Numbers and size). Not only Bigheads/Silvers, but Gar, commons, buffs, cats, grassies, etc.?

This includes a bunch of important lakes/tailwaters and vast stretches of river.....

So... Which do you like best and Why?? :)

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
Well I like the Tenn river chain because of the Kentucky lake area is in most cases cleaner as far as water clarity.

·
Registered
579 Posts
All the lakes and rivers around east tn suck no fish hardly at all,so need not bother even coming out this way!:cool:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm partial to the TN river chain. Water usually clearer and I like the buffs on it as well

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
!Shoot the fashes!lol[/QUOTE]
(fashes,DUMBAZZ ,flashes)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Never fished them before, I couldn't tell ya... I just act like a bowfish an talk smack on a bowfishing forum! :-D

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I prefer the clearer water of the Tennessee River system, too. :tu: The more stained water in the Cumberland does hold plenty of fish for good numbers shoots, but I think that the TN river system is better overall for big fish AND numbers IMO.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We shoot Hiawassee river a couple miles from where it Ts into the Tennessee river just north of Chickamauga lake. Mostly small spotted and a few bigger shortnose gar love the cicadas in the spring. Also there r some huge commons but we almost never are able to get close enough. hundreds of buffs there in May also.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We shoot Hiawassee river a couple miles from where it Ts into the Tennessee river just north of Chickamauga lake. Mostly small spotted and a few bigger shortnose gar love the cicadas in the spring. Also there r some huge commons but we almost never are able to get close enough. hundreds of buffs there in May also.
Could have swore that i have either seen the world record shortnose, or a small alligator gar last april right there

·
Registered
553 Posts
dunno about cumberland river south of wolf creek dam cause its a trout river never really bothered to fish it but this past year we went above lake cumberland in between laurel river lake and lake cumberland and bowfished it that baby is full of carp but the water is stained and low in alot of places where they have had lake cumber land down and if you know laurel river lake its full of big carp and catfish. the creeks and backwaters there are full of suckers also that would be my two cents on the cumberland chain maybe some of yall know it better on down towards tenn. its something i would like to give a try this next comeing year i never really checked on the regs but do any of yall fish in lakes or rivers where trout are stocked or are protected.

·
Administrator
3,634 Posts
dunno about cumberland river south of wolf creek dam cause its a trout river never really bothered to fish it but this past year we went above lake cumberland in between laurel river lake and lake cumberland and bowfished it that baby is full of carp but the water is stained and low in alot of places where they have had lake cumber land down and if you know laurel river lake its full of big carp and catfish. the creeks and backwaters there are full of suckers also that would be my two cents on the cumberland chain maybe some of yall know it better on down towards tenn. its something i would like to give a try this next comeing year i never really checked on the regs but do any of yall fish in lakes or rivers where trout are stocked or are protected.
At one time the regs in Ky was you couldn't Bowfish in a stream that was stocked with trout. That law was lifted a few years back. I would still check to make sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts