BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, plans had changed, thanks to the guys that gave me local info for Kentucky and Mayland first and foremost.

Long story short I phoned a friend and caught wind of some big rays in the area. That got me started at looking over maps in an area I had been wanting to check out all year.

A few more texts and we decided to stay local and see if we could find a few good rays.

with the way the tides were lined up for the 4 day weekend, that put our best chances in the afternoons. Which wasn't a bad thing as the weather was looking to cooperate and who doesn't like to sleep in some after a long day in then sun.

Thursday we found a couple good ones pretty quick with great looking water. We boated a 50 and 64 lb southern.

After we shot a hand full of 40s to keep it fun as we continued to look for a giant.. Near the end of the day we checked back to see 2 good rays and a possible 100 lb fish only to have it bust to the deeper water before we could get a Shot..

We called it a day late afternoon.

Friday we found several rays again in the 30/40 lb range. A couple 50s.

a lot of water covered with 1 big ray spotted again, unfortunatly I had a small Ray on and he wrapped my line in the kicker which stops us dead in the water. We searched the flat for 30 min and never layed eyes on him again. Then it was not until near the end of the day when the tide was up. We rounded a point, shot a mid 40s, immediately after found a good ray,

he topped the scales at 80 even and Jason's biggest thus far.

That night we went after flounder only to be pushed around from winds all night and one 5lb sheepshead to show for it..

The next morning it was tough to get the crew out of bed Apparently the long days were catching up to them..lol

Off to Saturday's hunt. We decided to head south for what I consider my home waters only to find the pleasure boaters in full force and the water blown out. We shot a couple small ones the made the choice to jump ship and head back north. The ones winds were at 15 by that time and wasn't sure what to expect. After checking a few spots north I stumbled upon a wide open flat we some how skipped the first two days. Even with the white caps we started bumping rays and chasing them down. the best part is they were all 50 plus. We boated several good ones each time we pasted over the flat. We'd hook up, get blown a 100yds off, and repeat.

4-5 rays later we saw wing tips that got me excited, I knew it was a respectable Ray as the kicker was full throttle and we were moving in fast. I sent an arrow flying and connected, Zack to the right was right behind me. When this Ray took off I said there's our 100lb fish evident by the wingspan. The chase was on to get the 3rd arrow hooked up. What a fight we had..

116lb later I landed yet another 100lb giant.

Shortly after boating two more rays over 50 I broke my steer stick AGAIN ending the trip.

Couldnt have ask d for a better weekend tho, plenty of laughs with more action..

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That is awesome! Congrats on a good trip.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow that's some studs

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I really want to go shoot rays, but dont know the first thing about finding them.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Big flat fish laying on the bottom...looks easy to me.
Not the hardest to hit but you would be surprised how fast they move when they want to then adding in shooting off a boat hauling, with waves, sun glare, and sometimes deep clear water but finding big ones Is hard part and a skill in itself. Most guys never break 100lbs where crafty has done it several times. Then landing a 100lb ray even with two or three arrows can be a real challenge.

How many car hoods have you taken now crafty and once again congrats

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Not the hardest to hit but you would be surprised how fast they move when they want to then adding in shooting off a boat hauling, with waves, sun glare, and sometimes deep clear water but finding big ones Is hard part and a skill in itself. Most guys never break 100lbs where crafty has done it several times. Then landing a 100lb ray even with two or three arrows can be a real challenge.

We've done 4 in all our years, non this year but got close with 98#, did 93# and 103# last year as biggest ones, but one of our biggest was way over 100# with just 2 of us and lost it. Definitely a feat to break 100# and do it regularly. :tu:

·
Registered
599 Posts

I hear ya! I was really just trying to give josh some ****. :D
I would love to come out there and try to get me a couple some time!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

They present their own challenges for sure, hitting one and getting a good shot that will hold is key. I can't stand a pull off on any fish. I play it for 20min if it's the difference of landing the fish or loosing it..

That makes number #6 over 100. Numerous just under but always on the hunt to bring the record back to NC. :D

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good call; you would have been sorely disappointed had you come here.
And that's what I was afraid off. I can switches gears here if conditions get bad and fish something to shoot. But next summer I'm making the drive east.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts