BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two seasons with a troller, I have had about all I can stand with control boards, brushes, broken shafts, and batteries. Its time to convert to a kicker. This is going to be a long, drawn out thread because this is going to be a winter project. I just figured I would start collecting ideas and materials so that when the time comes I can get it done. I picked up a 2009 9.8 Tohatsu 4-stroke this weekend so I figured I have half of the expense out of the way. It is a tiller handle without a tilt/steering tube.

I have been reading through "kicker" threads for the last couple of days and have decided to go with a push/pull steering. My decision is based solely on the fact that I want the cleanest install I can (guess I'm a little anal about this ever since I was installing stereos in cars as a teenager). From a budget stand point I understand that a pulley/cable system would be cheaper but I really don't want the exposed cables and the angle iron hanging off the back of the boat.

I know plenty of you guys run this same motor and I wanted to see if you could point out any pit falls you found while setting up your kicker with this kind of steering. Any help would be appreciated.

Also wanted to see if anybody local had any materials that they wanted to sell. My material list, as I understand will be (I'm sure there are plenty that I'm not thinking of);

motor mounting bracket
cables - steering, throttle, shift (19' skiff) I will get the actual lengths once I build the deck
Piller block bearings
sheets of aluminum - For the deck that I plan on building so that I don't have to cut the factory deck

The kicker is a manual start which isn't the end of the world, however if there is an inexpensive way to convert it to an electric start I would appreciate any ideas.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Is this boat going to be used just for bowfishing? Is your deck going to be removable? I would personally get rid of the old deck, all its going to do is weigh the front of the boat down. What size is the boat? How is your transom set up? Alot of questions can be answered by posting some pictures of your boat.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Powrtran steering is the cleanest install imo. Is the kicker electric start? I run a tohatsu tiller. You can take the handle off. You don't have to cut anything off the motor if you don't want to. Tohatsu motors are tough as nails for sure!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The newer tohatsu 9.8 tillers have to be cut off, you cant just unbolt the handle. if you dont unbolt the handle you will never get enought travel out of your cable.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Mines a 2013, so I'm not sure on all of them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is the overall layout of the boat. It is a 19x72. I've been shooting off of a flush deck with a removable light rail.
untitled.jpg

This is the back deck
4.jpg

This is the overall back transom lay out
20160823_174930.jpg

Side profile of the transom
20160823_174959.jpg

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this boat going to be used just for bowfishing? Is your deck going to be removable? I would personally get rid of the old deck, all its going to do is weigh the front of the boat down. What size is the boat? How is your transom set up? Alot of questions can be answered by posting some pictures of your boat.
The boat will be primarily used for bowfishing. It hasn't been used for anything else in the 2 years I've had it.
I may make the deck removable by using cotter pins on my cable ends. Not sure yet.
The boat is a 19x72

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Powrtran steering is the cleanest install imo. Is the kicker electric start? I run a tohatsu tiller. You can take the handle off. You don't have to cut anything off the motor if you don't want to. Tohatsu motors are tough as nails for sure!
I've thought about the Powertran. I've looked at NCbowfish's boat several times. Just don't know if the budget is going to allow. The kicker is not electric start. I'm looking for any creative ideas to convert it to electric start without paying $1K for the conversion kit. I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
If you can swing it, convert the main mount to a Mercury model. I can't explain what it's called, but it's the big piece that the tiller handle bolts to. It should run around $200-250 if memory serves. Two reasons are the Mercury version has a locking lever that keeps the motor from swinging left to right, which is handy when it's pulled up and when trailering. It basically keeps it from banging around. The second reason is it has the tiller handle part bolted on, which means you can bolt on a variety of fabricated contraptions to attach your cable to....which will also let you fine tune the amount of travel you get.

Mercury kickers are made by Tohatsu, just painted and branded differently. The parts are mostly interchangeable.

Another trick to get more travel left to right is to grind down the mount where the motor contacts it-we usually call it the motor stops. The more travel you have, the faster and tighter you can turn.

I'd suggest going PowerTran or hydraulic over a push pull personally. I've shot off a buddies boat that had push pull and I hated it. My build has been set back a few months, but eventually it'll have a joystick controlled, electric over hydraulic system.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've thought about the Powertran. I've looked at NCbowfish's boat several times. Just don't know if the budget is going to allow. The kicker is not electric start. I'm looking for any creative ideas to convert it to electric start without paying $1K for the conversion kit. I'm open to suggestions.
We hire a little man named Pedro to sit in the back of the boat and pull the starter cord for us. At $2/hr I can fish quite a while before I eat the cost of a new starter.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Depending on how you set up your steering. You will not have to cut it. It's the same as mine. I go lock to lock. Those 2 little bolts come out and the handle comes off. Then the little cables come off the motor. Oh, and if that Solas 4blade in the pic is for that motor. I'd say sell it unless you don't fish around grass or mud.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm just saying if you cut it, then later on if you decide to sell it. The only people that could use it would be bowfishing boats.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you need any parts I have a 2007 Mercury 9.9 that has a hole in the oil pan therefore I am going to part it out. Motor still ran fine before oil pan was crack. rough waters caused the engine mount to put the hole in the pan. It has a full electric start kit and also has the midsection with steering cable hole that someone was mentioning earlier. I was going to take the electric start off of it and put it on my new 8hp, however, the motor never dies while fishing so it is not a hastle. The only time that I need to start it is after changing spots and running on the big motor. I have to go back there and let the motor down into the water anyway so giving it one pull isnt a problem at all.

Also if you really want a clean setup then I suggest the powertran. By far is the cleanest setup. I have one on my boat and it has been great.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Depending on how you set up your steering. You will not have to cut it. It's the same as mine. I go lock to lock. Those 2 little bolts come out and the handle comes off. Then the little cables come off the motor. Oh, and if that Solas 4blade in the pic is for that motor. I'd say sell it unless you don't fish around grass or mud.
Thanks for the heads up on the tiller handle. I figured I could unbolt the handle itself.

That 4 blade prop was an extra that came with it. It has a 3 blade on it now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you need any parts I have a 2007 Mercury 9.9 that has a hole in the oil pan therefore I am going to part it out. Motor still ran fine before oil pan was crack. rough waters caused the engine mount to put the hole in the pan. It has a full electric start kit and also has the midsection with steering cable hole that someone was mentioning earlier. I was going to take the electric start off of it and put it on my new 8hp, however, the motor never dies while fishing so it is not a hastle. The only time that I need to start it is after changing spots and running on the big motor. I have to go back there and let the motor down into the water anyway so giving it one pull isnt a problem at all.

Also if you really want a clean setup then I suggest the powertran. By far is the cleanest setup. I have one on my boat and it has been great.
Awaldro, I sent you a PM. Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are two plugs on the side of the motor. The front is attached to the shifter but the rear plug is a hole in the side of the cowling that I assume a throttle linkage could go through. I've looked all over for this linkage. Anybody have any idea if I am way off base or if such linkage exists?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts