BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I have always wanted to build my own hull. Start from scratch and just give it a go. I currently have a 2080 Longbeach that I built the fan set-up on and did alot of other major modifications to it plus I have built three or four decks and done minor stuff to teammates boats and friends, but that and a whole new hull are completely different things. I have recently changed jobs and now have access to alot more of the larger equipment like metal breaks and a plasma cutting table that would be useful for the build at a very small fee to my employer, plus I can now get a super good deal on aluminum. I have the basics to work with on it in my shop: spool gun, grinders, drill press, chop saw, ect. So I am now at a cross roads. I could just do some things to my 2080 and get it how I want it, or I could sell it and start from scratch as I really want a 2280 Modified Vee and a globe style fan or kicker. Along with changing up the lay-out slightly. So to all of you guys who have built a boat completely from scratch or done serious serious modifications to a hull I have a couple questions....
First of all how many of you guys actually is there lol??
Second what are your all suggestions on welding the main hull...Tig or Spool gun?
Third what other kind of tools did you all need besides the basics?
Fourth how extensive was your build, size, ect. and a general idea of cost. (If you do not care to share that information)
Finally, was it worth all the heart ache and work???

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've never built my own but I have read enough of the build threads on this site and others to answer some of those questions. 1. There are a few out there but the ones that come to mind recently are rambo, payphone and ungashick. 2. I seems as if most prefer the spool gun. Tig is a lot slower and running a bead the length of the hull would be a forever long weld. 3. What you listed should be fine for tools, especially if the plasma is set up for cutting the aluminum. If not I know a lot of people on here use a jig saw. 4. having never done this I can't help with cost but Payphone did a 1260, Unga a 1660 and rambo is building some monster. Cost is going to be all over the place. 5. Yes. Your boat will be better for you than what you can buy and If it wasn't worth it these guys wouldn't have done their 2nd or 3rd build, or more, depending on the person. If you have any design questions just ask Chance. He will build you a scale model from wood.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've read all the build threads on here I am just curious to talk to some of the guys who have done it I guess! Pick their brains some lol.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am mainly wondering about the seems of the sides and bottom...I would almost be scared to spool that

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I built a 1260 from scratch. My build thread is on here. TIG everything you can, or if you have access to something like a 350P......
The rigging is what gets expensive. I had around $2,200 in aluminum and probably double that in rigging parts. It all adds up, but definitely worth it in my opinion. I don't hold still very long, so I was going to be doing something that cost money anyway. I get some satisfaction from building things, and this was no different. It was also very educational.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am about to start a boat build. I will be starting a thread shortly. I just bought the material to start a 2072 and I paid 3000 for my material thus far. I am sure I will end up having to go back for more when I get into it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts