BowFishing Country banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Oneida Tomcat 3 from Aquatic Archer, in pristine condition I might add. Can't wait to get this thing riged up and shoot it. I will be putting one of my Horseshoe rests on it with a Muzzy spinner.

It's a 50-70lb medium, the draw length is perfect for me but I believe it has the 80% modules in it.

My question is this, is there any benifit in switching modules to a 50? Is there any mods that improve a stock Tomcat 3 for bowfishing? I set the draw at 50lb, is it possible to go lower. This is my first Oneida so I'm not familiar with all that is possible, and the search function is very inefficient so I decided to ask these questions directly.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I like a lot of let off but that's just me. Personally I'd just shoot it the. If you decide you want a newer lever bow I'd go from there

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I planned on doing, I just wanted to know if there was any obvious changes people made.

This thing is much lighter than I anticipated. I would have thought the older Oneida's would be heavier, or at least it looked heavy in the pictures!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
That type of riser was the lightest of the old bows. It's a little heavier than the new ones but not that much. With it being longer its going to shoot like a dream when I drew back my first oneida I was amazed. It's all ill ever shoot

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Oh and you can probably get it down to 45 safely. If you wanted to get it lower American eagle grinds limbs I think it's 39.99 including return shipping or I think you can buy a set of limbs for around a 100

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been primarily shooting a D2, this bow set at 50-60 will be for the deeper water. @65lbs the 80% let off felt really strange, after adjusting to 50 it seems to feel better!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
welcome to the darkside

·
Registered
918 Posts
I like the lower let off. Much better for snap shooting. I've had my 50-70 oneida down to 43 lbs. that's about as low as I could get it before the power cables started going slack. Also 40 lbs on a 50-70 lb bow isn't going to hit as hard as 40 lbs on a 30-50 lb bow. It should still give you enough giddy to get thru fish but something to keep in mind. I had my limbs ground by joe at AE and I couldn't be happier with em.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SUCCESS!

I can only imagine how a newer Black Eagle would preform. This 14 year old turd shoots hard!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts