BowFishing Country banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have no idea where to start. Wanted to get a few of the coyotes and bobcat running around my place. Maybe do a full body mount on the bobbycat. What all do I need to basically get set up. I read something here about booking and "waxing"? Not sure what that is. I'm gathering a #2 would work but what brand? Anybody got some they want to part with or help me get set up. Need a little coaching. Didn't want to go all out and get the magazines and stuff... Too much on my plate for all that right now. Just a handful of advice would be awesome. Thx

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You can't just sorta kinda be a trapper. You either buy the magazines and stuff, or you don't catch anything.....Especially K9 anythings. :laugh: It's way easier to be a part time shoot em in da face kinda guy.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
:laugh: friend and I started trapping ***** with a half dozen dog proof traps we borrowed last winter now I own 48 traps. It went from I got a few traps to holy crap how did I get that many traps? After I got a few good deals lol if you get into it your screwed it's a bunch of fun. I just started setting up my line I'm going to run for the next couple weeks tonight we should have some ***** to skin tomorrow.

·
Registered
180 Posts
First place to start is getting a copy of the hunting and trapping rule's and studying it, learn the zone's and seasons for cat's. Bigger is better with leg hold traps, the jaws have to get around that big foot and you want to grab high on the leg, plus they don't fight a heavy trap as much as a smaller one.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I agree with most of the above. I will add, don't do what I did and buy the cheapest traps just because you don't know if you will like it. Unless you want to "work" on the traps before you ever start. Get MB 550's and be done with it. They sit flat and are a joy to work with compared to the others I have used.

Waxing - I skipped this part and I wish I hadn't. The wax preserves your traps from rust etc but it also keeps scent from soaking into the traps. For instance, I can't catch a coyote to save my life because all of my traps have skunk, ****, possum and cat smells soaked into them. The coyotes dig up the traps and never step in them because they can smell them. Waxing is an important step.

Youtube is your friend if you want to start trapping and don't have someone to teach you. It can be very fun and rewarding but it can get expensive, especially if you have to drive any distance to run your sets. So don't plan on getting rich with fur prices where they are.

Basics of what you need:

Traps
Urine/lure and bottles and qtips for dispensing
5 gal bucket
dirt sifter
role of wire
stakes or heavy wire or light chain to secure traps ( I stake mine, 18"-24" rebar with a nut welded on it so its easier to drive in ground)
trapping shovel, shovel, or something to move dirt
hammer (if you don't get a trapping tool, they have a hammer portion)

That should get you going. There are quite a few online stores where you can order everything you need. http://oktrapsupply.com/ is one I have used.

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
slowpoke is spot on,coyotes exert hundreds of lbs per square inch of pull,and if your chain too short they will "pump",your stake out,and be gone.As Lucas said,you cant kinda be a coyote trapper,they are far from dumb,dont screw up more than once,and if you are not on your a game with them you will have a bunch of extra educated yotes,that will not be caught. I have a whole bunch of traps and magazines I need gone if you want to buy (the traps are #3 double longsprings)coyote catchers,and are all trained already $13 each plus shipping

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You should really read up on this. Information is your friend. You'll learn about dyeing, how to make different sets, how to avoid leaving your scent, etc.. There's a lot more to it than a person thinks.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Depending what you have for TV check out the F&T Freedom Outdoors on Pursuit channel, they have a lot of good trapping segments from sets to trap prep and how to handle fur.....are pretty informative but do agree it's hard to be a part time trapper, did it full time when in high school and when fur prices were good 30+yrs ago but from boiling, logwood dying, waxing traps,buying traps,scents and lure there is a lot to trapping foxes or coyotes or Bobcats. ***** or muskrats water sets are a lot easier to catch and be successful IMO

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Huh speaking of predator calling I just got back from my first time doing it had a coyote come in a little to far for buckshot

·
Registered
116 Posts
LOL Yep I have used buckshot and hate the limited distance My AR sometimes doesn't drop them as fast as I like but my MAGIC is My Win 70 308 w/ 175GR BTHP it's LIGHTS OUT right now when that hits or as my buddy says DOGGONE

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
carry shot gun and rifle...call to the shotgun,meaning you hold off until they get close enough to shoot with it.You must not move,thats peoples biggest mistake DO NOT MOVE AT ALL,letting them get this close allows your sucess of getting to go up,but also alows dogs you dont see coming to show up.Often times a shy,or un confident dog will hang up,until it see s another running in,this taps both confidence and jelousy.Back up with the rifle means just that,get those that ya miss,or one that hangs solid.....always shoot the furthest one out first if multiples are coming

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
See the only issue is I don't have a rifle around to use I live in the limited firearm zone of Michigan so all I've got around to use are smooth bore and rifled barrel shotguns other than a 35 Remington lever gun that only has open sights and the laws are pretty weird about using slugs on anything but a deer so I'm pretty much stuck with buckshot

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
See the only issue is I don't have a rifle around to use I live in the limited firearm zone of Michigan so all I've got around to use are smooth bore and rifled barrel shotguns other than a 35 Remington lever gun that only has open sights and the laws are pretty weird about using slugs on anything but a deer so I'm pretty much stuck with buckshot
Buckshot is what you want to use Chance,slug defeats the purpose.Sucks ya can use a rifle too,but at any rate,I have likely shot more with a shotgun than a rifle(gotta include my airial kills,which are all shot gun :))Thi biggest thing is do not move....look with your eyes not your head

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Buckshot is what you want to use Chance,slug defeats the purpose.Sucks ya can use a rifle too,but at any rate,I have likely shot more with a shotgun than a rifle(gotta include my airial kills,which are all shot gun :))Thi biggest thing is do not move....look with your eyes not your head
Kuger, haven't shot coyotes but have shot "other stuff" with #4 buckshot and that throws a dense devastating pattern with full choke. Wouldn't you recommend something smaller than 00 or 0 buck ????

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
Kuger, haven't shot coyotes but have shot "other stuff" with #4 buckshot and that throws a dense devastating pattern with full choke. Wouldn't you recommend something smaller than 00 or 0 buck ????
Honestly no,I have killed em with low base 8 shot but do not recommend that.I also have to say the vast majority of my call in yotes arent for fur....but even at that the ones that are are never "too bad"

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
I know I had a stash of some 3" lead BB that have used on fox and groundhogs before.....worked real well

·
Registered
180 Posts
Chance, outside of firearm deer in the lower, lower you can use high powered rifles for predators during the day and slugs. At night you can only use rimfire or shot shells smaller than 4buck. So my next long gun will be a .17 Super mag and Ill also carry my 935 loaded with T shot, or BBB if I'm running low on T.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts