BowFishing Country banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best ones out there in your opinion? im looking to picking up a few for our Kentucky property. rite now i use the summit viper climbers but open to some lock ons as well. if lock ons what type of steps are best? not even ruling out ladder stands but must be comfortable cause i like to sit from daylight till dark during the rut

·
Registered
347 Posts
We pretty much only use Gorillas and lone wolfs for our hang ons. Heard gorilla doesn't make stands anymore but don't know if that's true. For sticks we have lone wolf stick which are expensive but light and work awesome. Also have some of the standard steel ones from gander, theyre heavy but if your leaving them in for a long time they work nice.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are the sticks hooked together to make one long ladder of seperate pieces?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I gave up on the Summit Vipers after my second one was stolen. I've got a dozen or so hang ons, a few ladder stands for the girls, and a couple box blinds. No thief has the nutz to go to the places where I hang em.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
The milenium stands seat, either the ladder or lock on style are about the most comfortable I have ever sat in. We have the millennium double rail ladder stands and super sturdy and plenty of room, I also have a few of the D!cks brand (Field and Stream) ladder stands that have seats like the millennium stands and are good for the money, less than 1/2 of mllenium when got them on sale....

We also have a mix of old true Loc-On stands with ladder/climbing sticks that we use, have the stand chained with 2 ratchet straps holding them to the tree,Loc-On's are mainly 20' bow stands, use that safety rope/prussic knot with tree spider and HSS safety harness with them....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I just started hunting from a tree this year I use a couple hang on stands that were given to me that use a chain on the tree and climbing sticks that go together to be about 12 ft put together so by the time the first step is a couple feet off the ground I'm just short of 15 ft I've got to get a couple stands that are a little more comfortable and a little bigger next year I'm possibly looking into a climber

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have a couple of API bow hunter climbers that are light and are great for scouting out new spots. I like to hunt off of the beaten path so the lighter the better. The problem with the climbers I have is that they are not very comfortable so I find myself standing up and stretching a lot. Also we have primarily pines and they seem to be twice as loud at 4 am when you are trying to scoot up the tree. So I found a good deal in S'mans Guide a few years back. They had a combo kit Guide Gear lock on (with a sling seat) and a set of steel rapid rails for less than $100. The ad said there was 20' of Rapid Rails but it only came with 16'. I ordered 3 combo kits and a separate set of Rapid Rails to get approx. 20' of ladder on each stand. The Guide Gear lock ons are very comfortable and have a foot rail for long sits. So I use my climbers to scout and once I find "the spot" I sneak in and set a lock on and leave it for the rest of the season. I will do this in 4 different spots so I have options with the weather. For the rest of the stands that the kids use (or me when I'm running late) I have Guide Gear (Buddy) 16' ladder stands with the seat pads. I like these because they are cheap and light. We have a couple of box stands that we built years ago on the power lines that are only about 6' high to the bottom of the platform but they have tin roofs and plywood sides so they are good for those days that you want to sit out the rain. So to sum it up I prefer the lock-ons, when I'm running late or the kids want to go we sit in Guide Gear Buddy stands, and when its raining we slip into the box stands. Got to have options.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I just started hunting from a tree this year I use a couple hang on stands that were given to me that use a chain on the tree and climbing sticks that go together to be about 12 ft put together so by the time the first step is a couple feet off the ground I'm just short of 15 ft I've got to get a couple stands that are a little more comfortable and a little bigger next year I'm possibly looking into a climber
What kind of harness are you using?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a few of the Summit Dual Pro ladder stands. I like the room and ease of climbing the ladder at 5am and the Dual Pro series has the foot platform that is more than double the size of the normal ladder stands so its very easy to move around a bit and stand for a while if I feel like it. I also have an Ameristep climber but I never have been very trusting of it.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. looks like we are going to order 5 of the milenium stands. going with the m150 monsters, will let you know how we like them after we get back from Kentucky

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
these milenium are a real good stand. very comfy and can sit all day if needed.
thanks guys. looks like we are going to order 5 of the milenium stands. going with the m150 monsters, will let you know how we like them after we get back from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm just getting mobile hang on setup put together for this year since I've got a lot of public land spots. I've still got to get a light weight hang on and a Harness that'll be easier to use. Basically I'll have the stand on my back hang the first stick from the ground with a sling aider on my first stick to get up over 7 feet with the first stick then have a loop on either side of my harness for my other two sticks so I can hang them as I go that'll get me up around 15 feet. I'll have two linesman's ropes to get around branches and one with also serve as a tether. I'll also have a retractable dog leash for a pull rope off the back to pull my bow and pack up once I'm in the stand. I'll only need to make one trip up the tree.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts