BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have noticed my trolling motor batts don't last very long at all lately. I really don't use it as much since I have the kicker but I was shooting some spooky fish in the day and figured it would use it. Had a full charge on the batts and only got 3 hours run time. It's an 80lb riptide probly 10 years old. Tried it again on a brand new set of 31 series deep cycles and still only 3 hours. Could it be caused by bad brushes or a bad armature? I don't see how it could but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
526 Posts
How are you charging them i.e. with an extension chord, manual setting, auto setting? What are your batteries reading 24 hours after full charge? I had a similar problem where I had a small extension chord running to the boat and was setting my charger on "manual deep cycle". The charger would read that it was completed charging but the batteries were not coming up to full charge. I took them out of the boat and charged them on the bench in my shop. I set the charger to "manual" and that brought them all of the way up. I'm not sure if it is my charger going bad or the light guage extension chord I was using but for one reason or another I have to now run the charger on "manual" every time I charge my batteries to get them to full.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a brand new marine 3 bank charger. It did the same thing with the old one so I doubt that's the problem. After charging and letting the batts settle I have 27+ volts. I also load tested both batts to be sure and they are good.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still looking for an answer. As stated before they are new batts, 3rd set actually with the same problem. New 3 bank on board charger. 27+ volts after charge. I'm about to just take the troller off completely since I have a kicker but I like having it for daytime shoots. I'm really just wondering if this could be due to the troller having an issue with the armature or brushes or something. Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but I noticed if I don't keep an inverter on my batteries and its cold out they don't last long at all. Ive ran all night in summer time with no inverter and when it gets cold a matter of a couple of hours. Batteries don't function well in the cold. I ran batteries dead in winter and next day when its warm out had a decent charge. I thought of putting an electric blanket around them but never got to try it before deciding to keep the inverters running.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Back when I ran a 36 Volt Motorguide I could always tell when it was going to crash because the batteries would be done earlier and earlier in the night. Then it would finally crash. I went thru 1 used 36 Volt troller, and then decided to buy a brand new Motorguide 36 volt digital tour 109# thrust (over $1100). That motor was rebuilt three times under warranty but everytime it would go out battery life suffered first..... I threw in the towel and built a fan.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in AL and I'm referring to shooting in the 80s so I doubt that's it. Sounds like it might need a rebuild. Thanks

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Still looking for an answer. As stated before they are new batts, 3rd set actually with the same problem. New 3 bank on board charger. 27+ volts after charge. I'm about to just take the troller off completely since I have a kicker but I like having it for daytime shoots. I'm really just wondering if this could be due to the troller having an issue with the armature or brushes or something. Thanks
If I recall your boat is pretty big correct?

Dragging that behemoth around continuously for 3 hours doesn't seem that bad. All the B.A.S.S. tourney guys I know run 3 and 4 batteries to get through a day and they don't run continiously.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I recall your boat is pretty big correct?

Dragging that behemoth around continuously for 3 hours doesn't seem that bad. All the B.A.S.S. tourney guys I know run 3 and 4 batteries to get through a day and they don't run continiously.
Yeah it's pretty big but when I say 3 hours that's on 50% throttle. If memory serves me correctly it used to make at least 5 or 6 running pretty hard. Either way it is due for a re-build so I'll probly just do that and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Yeah it's pretty big but when I say 3 hours that's on 50% throttle. If memory serves me correctly it used to make at least 5 or 6 running pretty hard. Either way it is due for a re-build so I'll probly just do that and see what happens.
Your probably right, probably help with efficiency

·
Registered
231 Posts
just wondering if you solved your battery problem yet before I tell ya my set up , I never charge my batteries and I have unlimited full power all night , sunset to sunrise ...with a full load of fish and people on a 2072 seaark !

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just wondering if you solved your battery problem yet before I tell ya my set up , I never charge my batteries and I have unlimited full power all night , sunset to sunrise ...with a full load of fish and people on a 2072 seaark !
Lemme guess, you always run your kicker lol, or you run converters.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I have a 24v converter but I don't want to have to bring the second generator just in the off chance I end up using my troller.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yeah I have a 24v converter but I don't want to have to bring the second generator just in the off chance I end up using my troller.
ok, u have 24v converter but what amp output is it , and what is your troller amp draw , mine puts out 40 amps all is run on one Honda 2000 watt genny and powers the troller , 2- 120 watt led light bars ,4- 50 watt led lights and 4 under water led lights , my other genny runs my 8 -50 watt 120v led lights continuous ...and have a smart charger for my 12v. system which runs my interior led lights and nav lights and extras with no side effects

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, u have 24v converter but what amp output is it , and what is your troller amp draw , mine puts out 40 amps all is run on one Honda 2000 watt genny and powers the troller , 2- 120 watt led light bars ,4- 50 watt led lights and 4 under water led lights , my other genny runs my 8 -50 watt 120v led lights continuous ...and have a smart charger for my 12v. system which runs my interior led lights and nav lights and extras with no side effects
I run 6 400 HPS on one generator and that's all it will run. If I want to run a converter, no matter what size/amp draw, I have to run a second generator. I don't want to have a second generator. I just want my trolling motor to run for more than 2.5 hours, which I know it will.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I run 6 400 HPS on one generator and that's all it will run. If I want to run a converter, no matter what size/amp draw, I have to run a second generator. I don't want to have a second generator. I just want my trolling motor to run for more than 2.5 hours, which I know it will.
ok, gottcha your already up 2400 watt draw on your lights alone, the converter will draw around 1300 watts , I would switch to led lights the cost has dropped alot , and the draw is very low from your system so u can run everything on one genny and have an all night run , that will save your batteries , just trying to help ya its your call ! good luck . on my boat everything is led !...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Definitely a rebuild would help. But I never realized how much more efficient the newer trollers are on battery power until I bought a 2015 model troller. Compared to the older models (even 8 years or so) the brushes and boards are more efficient, and I know Minn Kota has the 'Maximizer' I think that is supposed to make battery life last longer.

Just from my experience, I had a 2060 alweld, and while a 70 and 80# motor did great, I was running through batteries like you. So I upgraded to a 101# and the difference was day and night!! Not only was I not running the troller as hard to maintain fishing speed, but I could get almost a full tournament night of fishing on one set of batteries.

Also, if you haven't already, switching to a Kipawa Prop is a must.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Definitely a rebuild would help. But I never realized how much more efficient the newer trollers are on battery power until I bought a 2015 model troller. Compared to the older models (even 8 years or so) the brushes and boards are more efficient, and I know Minn Kota has the 'Maximizer' I think that is supposed to make battery life last longer.

Just from my experience, I had a 2060 alweld, and while a 70 and 80# motor did great, I was running through batteries like you. So I upgraded to a 101# and the difference was day and night!! Not only was I not running the troller as hard to maintain fishing speed, but I could get almost a full tournament night of fishing on one set of batteries.

Also, if you haven't already, switching to a Kipawa Prop is a must.

I got my troller motor 36v. in 2014 from minnkota and kept the head from my 80 lb. which has the indicator on it wired to the board good for 24v. and 36v. motors , no issues with it the maximizer its simply built in the electronics in the board and a battery strength indicator on top

also i've been using a 3 blade kipawa prop for years , a must ! there cheeper and last longer than 2 blade minnkota prop ! and a heck of a lot more thrust !!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts