BowFishing Country banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone want to see if i am thinking about this right. I have a Minn kota 80 thrust 24volt system, at the moment it is wired to two deep cycle batteries. I get a good amount run time but loose that battery power when i am trying to blast thru weeds. What i was thinking is since i have a gennie with an inverter, i could run a direct wire to the front of the boat and just have ENDLESS power. not sure what amps it pulls or what size wire but I think it can be done. I do have a on board charger that runs off the motor that works well but that doesn't help when i am in skinny water most of the night.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm not certain I'm following what you are thinking about doing...but regardless, you can't hook your genny straight to the trolling motor without burning the troller up.

There is a device called a "converter" that will accomplish what I think you are wanting to do. It plugs into the genny and then is wired to the batteries. It's essentially a super-duper battery charger. Normal onboard chargers can't keep up. Powermax is the brand I think many on here use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i am sorry i have a two converters on my boat. They are not powermax converters, i think they are inteli power or something like that. They are both 60 amp converts that run the gennie AV into DC to my lights. One is for the right and one for the left side of the boat. I would keep the factory installed wire in place and the batteries just encase i would ever have to use them if the converter craps out. I just want a constant power source for a long period of time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There are people that run solely off convertors for years with problems but there are even more that have horror stories about burning up the boards on their trolling motors. A lot would ride on the convertor. There are single stage, 3 stage, and 4 stage convertors that I'm aware of. The multi-stage chargers have varying output voltages depending on the state of the battery charge. If there's no battery, then the charger depends on the draw from the troller to determine which phase or stage it should be in. If one is determined to run solely off convertors, the better choice would be the single stage convertor providing 13.4 to 13.6 volts.

Losing power in weeds? Check for fishing line in troller, bad battery cells, & inadequate wire size to start with. You might try putting your batteries on the bow and wire your troller direct. If it still happens that eliminates your wiring. Use a digital voltmeter to make sure your charged batteries have a voltage of about 13 volts or just above. A battery with a dead cell will have a voltage of around 9 or 10. Anything between normal and a dead cell may indicate that your battery is sulfated. Nicer chargers have a sulfation mode to burn that sulfation off and recondition your battery. If all that checks out, check out the voltages during heavy use like starting a motor. if it drops to zero or close to it, you may have an open cell that is only revealing itself when the battery heats up under draw.

If the batteries check out, it's time to get your troller looked at.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I meant "for years with no problems but..." but can't seem to find an edit post button. I could have sworn I have edited posts on here before. Anybody know where I can find that button or turn it on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts