BowFishing Country banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using e11 base 500 watt halogen bulbs dropping them in pvc and filling with various sealants (silicone, epoxy, 5200, loctite) and the lights only work for a short time sometimes 1-2 trips sometimes 7-8 trips...is anyone running their lights underwater that knows of a better technique to get the full life of the bulb? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sounds like a good way to electrocuted to me...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ive seen some people rig up some under water lights for flounder gigging and they were just using LEDS. Looked like they were actually recessed into the hull. If you don't mind asking why are you using underwater lights. Ive heard thats the only way to reduce glare from ripples on the surface but for carp and other stuff doesn't seem to be worth it. Always made it work with 400 hps

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yeah only helps if you fish some where that's always choppy. Still don't think it's worth it gotta be some points, islands, etc to get out of wind. But if I were to do it I would definitely be using water proof leds instead of trying to rig something else

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I should have elaborated a bit more I'm fishing in the ocean it's almost always choppy and I'm lighting up the floor not the surface sometimes 15 ft deep...underwater lights are the only way to do that successfully the few guys that have above water lights and led are back at the ramp with empty coolers...on some nights there's actually people swimming in the water as 30+ boats zoom around with lights in the water you wouldn't catch me doing that but nobody has ever been electrocuted that I've heard of and I've never seen any fish come belly up either...does anybody run their lights underwater?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Dang man shooting 15 foot deep is serious! But most, if not all, of the guys on here have lights above the water. Not as much depth penetration but a wider spread of light.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I can 100% guarantee you are not shooting 15ft deep. Maybe gigging but must be some serious fish as even 30 lb carp look small at 15ft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts