BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to go somewhere and shoot something new and different. I've been blessed with the gift of retirement at a young age so I've had the opportunity to move around and travel alot to shoot fish. Running through a list in my head and I can't think of much that I haven't put in a fish tub or an ice chest with the exception of big offshore species. I have no desire to shoot something then fight it with a rod n reel, just doesn't do it for me. What kinda stuff does your state have special? For example, KY is known for bigheads and spoonbills, TX for big rolling gator gar, LA has the Marsh, etc... there's gotta be something out there that I havent marked off the list yet without having to go to the Amazon or something.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
South Dakota I believe had a salmon season, remember that from years ago, not sure when or time of year, was article in the old "Bowfisher" magazine

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Potomac, snakehead? Don't know where you're from so...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
South Dakota I believe had a salmon season, remember that from years ago, not sure when or time of year, was article in the old "Bowfisher" magazine
That would be cool. Didn't know you could shoot salmon.

I've shot snakeheads out of the Potomac and down in Florida. Never ate one though, unfortunately BC I've heard nothing but great things. I live back in TN now but I've lived in MD, DE, WV, TN, KY and LA. Visited alot of states chasing fish including TX, OH, IN, MI, FL, SC, MS, AL, MO, AR...

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Not with a bow, but the Maine or Vermont pike rifle season always sounded like a fun time...:D

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Here you go.....

image.jpg

Article said legal to shoot gamefish on the Missouri River from June- Feb except sturgeon and paddlefish and were shooting Lake Ohae during the fall October chinook spawning run...,

The salmon are a put and take type fishery and the article said biologist Bob Hanten was helpful in pointing them in the right spots and time to find them....

If did that would be cool if paired it up wit some good pheasant hunting...

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
I dont know anyone off the top of my head that lives around there. Anyone I could contact to confirm that it's legitimate and STILL legitimate now Garp?
That magazine was from about 5 yrs ago

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That magazine was from about 5 yrs ago
Regs change all the time though. I'm coming up with very little on Google. I'd hate to make plans to book a trip out there just to find out that they put a stop to it 4yrs ago or something

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
2016 regs is $67 non resident fishing license and $5 spearing/Bowfishing license to take game fish, looks like still a go... Search South Dakota spearing regulations...

Now a destination on my bucket list....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2016 regs is $67 non resident fishing license and $5 spearing/Bowfishing license to take game fish, looks like still a go... Search South Dakota spearing regulations...

Now a destination on my bucket list....
I'll shoot you a txt here in a minute. Just got some top secret info lol

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Can put you on the flatheads up here in pa especially come late summer. Average 15-20 in a night with 3 or 4 over 30lbs. Not many places in the country that you can go and actually target flatheads consistently

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Also up state new York is one of your best chances at commons over 40 lbs with fish over 50lb possible. Always a fun shoot especially when a lot of the water up there is gin clear.

Or I got a lake in Massachusetts that is almost entirely mirror carp. Last time I was up we shot 33 carp with 31 of them being mirror carp all between 20-35lbss

1 - 20 of 24 Posts