BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I have been thinking a lot about recently. What are you using to pull your boat?
I just bought a new to me truck about 3 months ago its a 2006 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax, I bought this truck cause my boat is a 1872 Diamondback which isn't the lightest boat out there, but also bought it cause I don't like worrying about how much weight I am pulling and putting stress on a smaller size truck. Wish their was a easy way to weigh your trailer and boat. I really like the Tacoma's but only 3500lbs of pulling capacity isn't enough for me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ive never had an issue with my 1500 Silverado. I can notice the boat but it pulls it great even with a full load of fish. More worried about the single axle on the trailer than the truck

·
Registered
46 Posts
1500 Sierra for me. I use to have a 04 Cummins and get about the same fuel economy with the Sierra as I did the Cummins. The Cummins definitely had a lot more power to go and get if I needed it tho.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I pulled a 6000# camper with a 18' G3 behind that with a 2013 Ford F150 Max Tow Eco Boost from Missouri to South Texas and back, never a bit a problem, pass trucks up hill all day long. Picked up a 60hp Kubota 4x4 tractor in TN to MO, never a issue, power to spare. It was totaled in hail storm and I replaced it with 2500HD Denali Duramax but I still swear to pass people with same load the Ford would out pull it. I upgraded to a 9000# camper is reason for move to 2500. I think the max tow was rated at 11,000# though. Better springs, 3:73 gears, tow mirrors and few other options.

You can spot a F150 max tow on a dealer lot, most have the tow mirrors identical to 3/4 tons.

Have a dealer let you hook up an run with it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled a 6000# camper with a 18' G3 behind that with a 2013 Ford F150 Max Tow Eco Boost from Missouri to South Texas and back, never a bit a problem, pass trucks up hill all day long. Picked up a 60hp Kubota 4x4 tractor in TN to MO, never a issue, power to spare. It was totaled in hail storm and I replaced it with 2500HD Denali Duramax but I still swear to pass people with same load the Ford would out pull it. I upgraded to a 9000# camper is reason for move to 2500. I think the max tow was rated at 11,000# though. Better springs, 3:73 gears, tow mirrors and few other options.

You can spot a F150 max tow on a dealer lot, most have the tow mirrors identical to 3/4 tons.

Have a dealer let you hook up an run with it.
I haven't even heard of a f150 max tow

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are y'all pulling your airboats with? I have a newer Chevy 1500 pulling my 18x8 and its got me in the market for a new truck I average around 4 mpg running 65 to 70 mph

·
Administrator
14,260 Posts
What are y'all pulling your airboats with? I have a newer Chevy 1500 pulling my 18x8 and its got me in the market for a new truck I average around 4 mpg running 65 to 70 mph
WOW and I thought 9 mpg was bad!! :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thing that worries me is these truck makers say the truck can pull XXXXlbs, but what they dont tell you is how bad your performance falls on its face when the truck is loaded down to its max.

·
Registered
319 Posts
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke pulling a tandem axle aluminum Sport Trail. The elevated console on that 2185 makes for quite a sail but it still takes a pretty steep hill to make it drop gears.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Good topic. I'm upgrading for next hr myself. I've been pulling with a 03 Ram 2500 with the 5.7l, 5 spd manual. It pulls fine but with the boat( 1872 long beach with enclosed light rail and dual axle trailer), 30' camper, enclosed trailer or any good load I'm pulling in 4 th gear and around 6-7 mpg with camper. 8-9 with the boat at highway speeds around 70mph and 3000 rpm. She's been great but has 220,000 and getting a bit rough to abuse every weekend.

I am going diesel and SHE is leaning toward a GMC. Haha. I don't like the looks of Chevys. Love the options and interiors on the Fords. But have always been a Dodge guy myself. Moral of the story is I don't have a clue as of yet. Ha

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good topic. I'm upgrading for next hr myself. I've been pulling with a 03 Ram 2500 with the 5.7l, 5 spd manual. It pulls fine but with the boat( 1872 long beach with enclosed light rail and dual axle trailer), 30' camper, enclosed trailer or any good load I'm pulling in 4 th gear and around 6-7 mpg with camper. 8-9 with the boat at highway speeds around 70mph and 3000 rpm. She's been great but has 220,000 and getting a bit rough to abuse every weekend.

I am going diesel and SHE is leaning toward a GMC. Haha. I don't like the looks of Chevys. Love the options and interiors on the Fords. But have always been a Dodge guy myself. Moral of the story is I don't have a clue as of yet. Ha
My last truck was a 2011 F250 6.7 and was a very nice truck, the only downfall to these newer diesels is all the emissions stuff and the bells and whistles just more **** to break. Thats what I bought the truck I have now, less stuff to break.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My last truck was a 2005 f350 that pulled great....I traded it for a 2015 f150 5.0L and it pulls all that I need it to, however, nothing like the diesel. The good thing is that the f150 gets 20mpg unloaded and the f350 got 12 mpg. But when I town with the f150 it gets 13mpg and the f350 fot around 11 to 12. I towed 3 one ton pallets of rock on an extremely heavy car hauler (tandem mobile home axles) for about 30 miles with the f150. I was impressed that it handled it as well as it did.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts