BowFishing Country banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
2014 f350 pulling a 2472 seaark average about 12mpg

used to pull with a chevy 1500 with air bags, kept blowin air bags and was getting about 8mpg
This is exactly why I ditched my 1/2 ton 2wd chevy for a 4wd F350. It was by no means a speed demon even empty, got about 15mpg that dropped to 8-9 while towing, and it towed terrible compared to a heavy truck. The modern 1/2 tons tow much better than the 90's pickups.

If I'm gonna suffer through $hitty milage I might as well reap the benifits of a HD truck.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The thing that worries me is these truck makers say the truck can pull XXXXlbs, but what they dont tell you is how bad your performance falls on its face when the truck is loaded down to its max.

My Ram 5500 drives the same empty or with 30,000 lbs behind it. 12mpg empty. 11.8 loooooaaaaaaddddddeeeedddd.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I pull a 19x65 heavy fan boat, tandem trailer with my 06 Silverado 5.3 and it pulls great. Ive never checked the mileage but its not horrible. I pull it at least 4 hours every Saturday night and im happy with it. but I also don't try to keep up with traffic going up hills, etc. I keep it around 65 and on steep hills go down to about 60. the way you drive will effect your mileage a lot!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I thought my mileage was bad, but a few of y'all are making me think otherwise...lol.

2003 Silverado Z71, 5.3, and it pulls my flyweight SeaArk 1872 at a little over 11MPG. I get about 14.5 unloaded, which ain't too bad considering I drive FAST. They raised our speed limits in OH recently, so I usually roll out around 80mph unloaded, and 65-75mph pulling the boat.

It's got right around 300k on it, and it's by far the best truck I've ever owned aside from my little Tacoma I had a few years back. If I can find another super low mileage truck like mine I'll buy it without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Does anybody know the weight of their boat loaded down with gear, if so please tell us what size your boat is your gear and equiptment and the weight.

·
Administrator
14,260 Posts
My Hanko was right at 3,200 lbs without gear.
And add another 1,000 for trailer.
The F250 got about 15 mpg pulling it at 60 mph.

Custom 18 foot 11 inch by 60
Hanko's 4 inch Vee Tunnel Hull 3/16 inch thick 5086
27 inch back and 24 inch high side every where else
SeaStar Steering on a 2000 115 hrp 4-stroke Yamaha long shaft, with power jack plate.
Boat bottom and decks 5 bar grip treads.
Tachometer gauge
Water pressure gauge
Engine Temperature
Gas gauge with switch for dual tanks
Horn
Fish well light
Bilge pump with on / off / auto switch
Inset running with 2 back lights
Water separator gas filter
2 mounted fire extinguishers
2 hull mounted magnesium anodes
Garmin 160 Blue depth finder
2 Gas tanks 13 gallon and 22 gallon.
Removable deck aluminum Diamond plate grip treads with
6 Gator Gar Pro MH lights
Wired (wire smokeless silver-plated strand: 4 wire 10 gauge) in PVC conduit with outdoor breaker box 240 volts
5200 electric start Northstar with Honda's motor generator.
23 hrp power taper shaft B&S, SS hub and 3 bladed composite prop, with SeaStar hydraulic steering, 2 start switches and floor hot foot!
SS airfan Pedestal quick disconnect, and the fan has double side shroud.
The boat has brush engine turn fish scale finish.
Rod box, bow box, rope box, batter box (2 interstate batteries room for one more) and 2 more storage boxes.
Loadmaster tandem aluminum trailer, torsion axle, aluminum mags, SS lugs, spear tire, SS brakes and 2 spear hub with bearing, SS hardware and 6 bunks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My Hanko was right at 3,200 lbs without gear.
And add another 1,000 for trailer.
The F250 got about 15 mpg pulling it at 60 mph.

Custom 18 foot 11 inch by 60
Hanko's 4 inch Vee Tunnel Hull 3/16 inch thick 5086
27 inch back and 24 inch high side every where else
SeaStar Steering on a 2000 115 hrp 4-stroke Yamaha long shaft, with power jack plate.
Boat bottom and decks 5 bar grip treads.
Tachometer gauge
Water pressure gauge
Engine Temperature
Gas gauge with switch for dual tanks
Horn
Fish well light
Bilge pump with on / off / auto switch
Inset running with 2 back lights
Water separator gas filter
2 mounted fire extinguishers
2 hull mounted magnesium anodes
Garmin 160 Blue depth finder
2 Gas tanks 13 gallon and 22 gallon.
Removable deck aluminum Diamond plate grip treads with
6 Gator Gar Pro MH lights
Wired (wire smokeless silver-plated strand: 4 wire 10 gauge) in PVC conduit with outdoor breaker box 240 volts
5200 electric start Northstar with Honda's motor generator.
23 hrp power taper shaft B&S, SS hub and 3 bladed composite prop, with SeaStar hydraulic steering, 2 start switches and floor hot foot!
SS airfan Pedestal quick disconnect, and the fan has double side shroud.
The boat has brush engine turn fish scale finish.
Rod box, bow box, rope box, batter box (2 interstate batteries room for one more) and 2 more storage boxes.
Loadmaster tandem aluminum trailer, torsion axle, aluminum mags, SS lugs, spear tire, SS brakes and 2 spear hub with bearing, SS hardware and 6 bunks.
So we will go with about 5000lbs?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
The used Diesel truck market has gone Bat $hit Crazy out here in the last 4-5 years. Pre-smog Powerstrokes and Cummins regularly fetch twice what bluebook lists them for. I scoured the internet trying to find a clean older 4wd diesel that was resonably priced. Most had 300,000 miles and still fetched a premium price. My father has a dealers liscense in Missouri and I had him seaerching long and far in the St. Louis area with no luck. I have rules for used truck purchasing, and #1 is no more than 10k miles per year of existence, makes finding a older used diesel an imposibility.

I came across this 99 F350 with under 140k on it and a 6.8l v10, was able to get it with a 6 month warranty for under bluebook. The exact same truck with a 7.3l powerstroke sell for $16-20k even with high millage. I paid about 35% of that, having cash is a powerful tool for negotiating. I know some will talk $hit on the V10, it's no modern diesel for sure. But if you compare it to the 7.3l powerstroke it has comprable torque numbers and much more HP. It tows equally well to a 7.3 diesel at sea level, it's only when you head to the mountains the higher elevation is a problem for a naturally asperated engine.

The millage isn't good at all, but for the $12k or so I saved I can buy a lot of fuel.

Dragging my buddies dads insanely heavy 34' camper up to his Deer Camp.

Scored the Wheels and Tires for $500 on CL

·
Registered
430 Posts
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 for me. Picked it up for $3k 2 years ago with 112k miles and a bad fuel pump. Best purchase I have ever made (except for the condoms in high school). Been all over the Midwest states without a problem. My boat now is only a 1648 with a 15hp so you don't even know its back there.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I got a 2010 f150 with the baby 4.6 motor. Last 6 years put 220k miles on her with just one fuel pump and basic maintenance sometimes on schedule sometimes late. Actually believe it or not has original spark plugs in her. Been meaning to change them but keep putting it off as been looking at new trucks. Anyways she pulls my 1872 sea ark and tandem trailer great. Heavier boat, not airboat heavy but heavy 17mpg empty and 14.5 while towing (when she was new it was closer to 18mpg and 15.5mpg)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Tundra crewmax, 3200lbs not loaded, 2070, around 11-12mpg pulling. Strong enough to pull a space shuttle or beat up a mild mustang.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I pull my 20x8 Diamondback with my 09 crew cab Sierra 1500 with 5.3L & 6L80e(6 speed)
I get about 10mpg and pulls fairly strong... K&N intake,magnaflow and a custom tune 3.42 gears

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I got a 2010 f150 with the baby 4.6 motor. Last 6 years put 220k miles on her with just one fuel pump and basic maintenance sometimes on schedule sometimes late. Actually believe it or not has original spark plugs in her. Been meaning to change them but keep putting it off as been looking at new trucks. Anyways she pulls my 1872 sea ark and tandem trailer great. Heavier boat, not airboat heavy but heavy 17mpg empty and 14.5 while towing (when she was new it was closer to 18mpg and 15.5mpg)
Dang, my old work truck was an 09 single cab with same motor and it wouldn't do but 9-10 doing 55mph and had zero power when pulling.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I haven't even heard of a f150 max tow
I looked, mine was a 2013 rated at over 11,000, appears they still make it in 2016 and have upped weight with the new Aluminum Body. I also had the SuperSlide automatic 5th wheel in mine that worked in the 5' bed.

*Class-best max. towing capacity of 12,200 lbs. yours when you equip Ford F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost® engine2 and Max. Trailer Tow Package.*

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2016

21 - 40 of 49 Posts