BowFishing Country banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
My 2012 6 spd Tacoma doesn't pull my 1660 worth a damn lol.. For sure go bigger
Is it really that bad? I'd figger it would do just fine?

I've been half toying with the idea of getting a Tacoma for my next truck and juicing up the motor a bit. Love me some Toyotas, but got dayum the Tundra is insanely pricey.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Before I had the tundra, I had a 2004 taco 4 door with the 3.4 in it. It didn't have a ton of power but it pulled fine. The gas mileage was around the same though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is it really that bad? I'd figger it would do just fine?

I've been half toying with the idea of getting a Tacoma for my next truck and juicing up the motor a bit. Love me some Toyotas, but got dayum the Tundra is insanely pricey.
Dont think the lift and tires help much either lol

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
That's because most guys don't do the gears when they get the oversized tires. Put some 4.56 gears in there and it will be a monster.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Different rear end, some simple bolt-ons, maybe a supercharger if I had a few grand to play with. Of course with all of that, I'd prolly be into it for another $5-8k, and might as well buy a full size...

Not sure if the gas mileage would improve with the added power and gearing enough to justify it all.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
That's kinda what I was thinking. Different rear end, some simple bolt-ons, maybe a supercharger if I had a few grand to play with. Of course with all of that, I'd prolly be into it for another $5-8k, and might as well buy a full size...

Not sure if the gas mileage would improve with the added power and gearing enough to justify it all.
Spending $1200 on gears it will feel like a rocket, especially if you've been lugging it around for awhile because you ruined your final drive ratio with the bigger tires.

This truck is a prime example, 1985 toyota with a 22r 90hp engine turning 35" Super Swamper. Had no problems with exceleration, even on short freeway on ramps because it had 4:88 gears instead of the 3:40 or whatever came stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2000 Dodge 3500 DRW with 5.9 cummins. S&B intake with big injectors, decent turbo, edge tuner, and built trans. Close to 450hp and 900lbs torque. Still get around 21mpg highway empty and 17 loaded with a 7k trailer. Truck sucks to drive when empty but with a little weight on the back its a dream. Its my daily, got a kid due in july and I'm here trying to figure out how I can put a carseat in the back and hold on to the the thing. Nothing beats the sound of a straight pipe 2nd gen! Just wish the rockers and doors didn't rust out and disappear on me. If it was a SRW I could probably get 8-9k for the thing but nobody wants a dually. Buddy occasionally pulls my rig with his 2015 f150 and it ain't horrible but gas mileage tanks pretty quick

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been towing my 1860 tracker with a 90HP motor with a 1/2 ton Dodge Ram with the 5.7 L V-8. It tows it around with no issues. Gas mileage isn't the greatest but power isn't a problem.

I recently purchased a new 2019 Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins which is overkill for this boat. I'm giving the older 1/2 ton to my son, so we will probably use it still to tow the boat to the local lakes (I don't want stinking teenagers in my new truck) and use the 3/4 to tow it to our summer trip to Vermont.

In my opinion, most 1/2 ton trucks should have no issue towing most bowfishing rigs. Even the heavier rigs as long as you have a towing package on it.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts